Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,161   Online: 998

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nadar and "The Bohemian Code"

Hi all,

Some time ago, I read some chapters of a nice exhibition catalogue of a 1994 exhibition about Nadar in the Musée d'Orsay in Paris.

Now I didn't know much about Nadar, except being a well established photographer running a large photo studio in Paris in the early days of photography half way the 19th century, and I thus always assumed he was some kind of successful, possibly gentleman, well-of photographer in his time.

Now the biography included in that catalogue, opened my eyes to an entirely different personality. A kind of energetic 19th century "Andy Warhol", breaking a lot of social rules and living as a Dandy, but often broke, despite his undisputed successes and crazy projects like his balloon ride over Paris carrying his LF camera to take the first aerial pictures ever.

To give you just some perspective, here are two quotes of the catalogue I wrote down in my notebook to remember, and that I loved reading:

"His frequent disappearances and successive addresses suggest that like Fauchery, his fellow contributor to 'Le corsaire-satan', he knew the Bohemian Code: 1) Rent should never be paid. 2) All moves are made through the window. 3) Tailors, boot makers, hatters, and restaurateurs are relatives of 'Monsieur Crédit'.

Whether or not Nadar practiced these tactics, his creditors finally caught him. The days spent in debtor's prison in 1850 provided the substance for his fascinating description of insanity produced by incarceration."

"His capacity to enjoy whatever he could and to the utmost, despite the real problems of existence, is deliciously illustrated by the recollection of fellow caricaturist and photographer Étienne Carjat, as reported by the Goncourt brothers: '[Nadar] lived with a woman for two months without going out, in bed, with no clothes to wear. The woman had pantaloons and yellow leather boots, in which she went to the opera ball. They had a passion for oysters, and oyster shells piled up all over the room, finally carpeting the floor'"

I loved these images and quotes. Despite being anecdotal, Nadar's live really seems to have been a whirlpool, or should I say "tornado", of interesting events...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200px-Brooklyn_Museum_-_Nadar_%C3%89levant_la_Photographie_%C3%A0_la_Hauteur_de_l%27Art_-_Honor%.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	35189

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 05-21-2011 at 05:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Interesting, the code fuels my rebelious fantasies, but I doubt my wife would let me get away with antics like his.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Interesting, the code fuels my rebelious fantasies, but I doubt my wife would let me get away with antics like his.
    Maybe if she has a passion for oysters too?
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oysters aren't on her menu.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    was that true for felix's brother as well ?
    from what i understand ... his brother
    who isn't mentioned much, did a lot of the "work"
    in the studio ...

he sounds like people i have known over the years .. who are living "on the edge"
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin