Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,222   Online: 806

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I for one don't worship him for his celebrity. I find great value in what he has said and many of his photographs are indisputable masterpieces.

Didn't your mom ever tell you that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I for one don't worship him for his celebrity. I find great value in what he has said and many of his photographs are indisputable masterpieces.

Didn't your mom ever tell you that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?
    Gee, should make sure my "Play Nice" filter is working next time.

A whole lotta water and images have gone under the bridge since HC-B put his Leica down in the 70s. Great images but not holy relics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just sending some back your way

Not holy relics, but who here said they were? That's all...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "many of his photographs are indisputable masterpieces."

Hmm. I think you said it, right? Let's give the canonical stuff a rest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    *long and heavy sigh*

Anyways.... as much fun as I'm having discussing this with you....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like it!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Artistic merit aside, HCB's work is subject to a great deal of celebrity worship, something not renowned for its critical edge. Don't find his post hoc analysis of his own work all that revealing. Didn't find much of value in Patel's fawning reminiscence.
    What a crack of BS! So you're saying that the only reason his work is established/appreciated is because of "celebrity worship" who have no business in being critics? Now my question is, aside from giving an opinion, what and who puts YOU in a position to offer a better, critical analysis of his work? Also, what images from other, less celebrated artists, do you consider to be Holy Relics?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lots of people blather endlessly about HC-B's "greatness," not so many think through or discuss how the consensus came about. That's how celebrity worship, being famous for being famous, works like something that's thrown over many artists to avoid much if any critical thinking about their work. If you're OK with that, fine. I'm not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HC-B earned his reputation through his work. His work as a photographer slowly got elevated to "clebrity" by the opinions of many people, not the thoughts of one poster in particular.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Lots of people blather endlessly about HC-B's "greatness," not so many think through or discuss how the consensus came about. That's how celebrity worship, being famous for being famous, works like something that's thrown over many artists to avoid much if any critical thinking about their work. If you're OK with that, fine. I'm not.

I'm not fine with that at all but I don't think you are correct in your assessment. If your thinking is indeed logic, then who are the artists who have gotten the proverbial short end of the stick, with their glorious, but largely ignored, body of work?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin