Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,117   Online: 953

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the assumption that I'm one of these "worshippers" is insulting. The truth is, I came to the conclusion that I like his work and found something in it that directly affected me by myself. Sure I was pointed to it by the fact that he's well known, but I didn't "latch on" to him simply because I'm a lemming or something. There's enough stuff that I dislike, against public applauding, to prove this fact.

But ultimately, I don't care to convince you.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    I'm not fine with that at all but I don't think you are correct in your assessment. If your thinking is indeed logic, then who are the artists who have gotten the proverbial short end of the stick, with their glorious, but largely ignored, body of work?
    OK, why don't you start by sharing what you believe makes HC-B's work great?

Now tell me what makes James Nachtwey's work great?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

I asked the question first

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for making my point.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

Ok, here is your mistake...you are comparing. Being analytical/critical of someone's work is not about comparing it to others. Nachtwey's work is great in a much different way. If you want to be hit over the head with a sledgehammer with overpowering images of poverty, death, horrors, narrative photojournalism of some kind, then great, he's your man. I don't find his images universally appealing and that is likely the reason why he's not Bresson. You are seeing things from a purely subjective standpoint while claiming that Bresson's work stands simply by virtue of celebrity status, which is 100% wrong on all counts. Anyway..enough time wasted here..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had nothing really constructive to add, that's why I deleted my message, even though I don't think it's fair to do so in case someone read it and was in the middle of replying.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bresson was able to utilize new tech, take photos, and articulate a philosophy of photography. He was in the right place at the right time as a pioneer and archetype. His content has subjective merit on a continuum of appreciation. Nevertheless he is iconic for his ability for the space he created in popular and artistic culture. Argue all you want over his photographic merits, but his legacy is solid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    His work tells a story and that is what makes it stand out. There are so many technically correct photos published (especially with the invention of the web and digital photography) that tells no story it sometimes makes me sick.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Very well said, Aristophanes.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There always was, and always will be, more to Magnum than HC-B.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin