Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,327   Online: 1070

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Richard had an elitest lifestyle yet he remained true to his voice. Not only did I enjoy his work but had huge respect for him as an artist. People on this site have asked "when do I know I've got it?" Well, he had "it" from the outset and led the charge that open so many avenues for the rest of us. He as a human will be missed but his images will never die.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Check out the intro page to his web site: http://www.richardavedon.com. No words, but very eloquent. He'll be missed, but his photographs will endure.
    Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm going into the weekend totally bummed. I can only imagine how his family must feel, and I share at least a small portion of their grief. Avedon was responsible for inspiring me to get back into photography after a 25 year lay-off, via the episode about him on the "American Masters" series on PBS. He also, by the same third-party route, taught me that I am more of a portrait photographer rather than a landscape photographer. Thanks Richard!

The only thing that makes me feel better about this is my own somewhat rude/sick fantasy that his last mortal words were, "Death before digital!" And think of the sights he's seeing now! I hope he at least brought his Rollei.
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Avedon: Gone but certainly not forgotten

I was very fortunate to have met Richard Avedon in 1979 when he came to Atlanta for an exhibit of his work "Photographs 1947-1977".

I was able to talk to him about his photography for quite a while one afternoon; he never seemed to me to be an elitist. He was quite at ease speaking about his work and his love of being a photographer.

Avedon had access to a wide range of fashion celebrities and pop icons through out his career and in a sense documented a lengthy period of fashion and pop culture uniquely (which he was paid to do of course). My favorites of his work was done during the late forties and through the fifties with models such as Suzi Parker and Dovima. It isn't often that a single photograph can tell a story, but often his fashion work seemed to, albeit stories of fantasy.

Often I feel uncomfortable with the depiction of beautiful people in advertising photography, but Avedon often transcended that kind of photography to an art form. There are only two other photographers from that era in the fifties that could match him in that respect, William Klein and Irving Penn. But Avedon and his photographs was truly one of a kind. It's amazing to see how much of his style has been copied, even today and presented as though it is a new way of seeing and photographing. Even Helmut Newton copied Avedon.

The most memorable quote about Avedon that I can recall was made by Brook Shields, I'm paraphrasing, when she was asked how did she address Avedon, as Richard or Mr. Avedon. Shields answered "I call him dick and quite a few other names!".

Don Bryant

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When he was here in Ft. Worth, he was asked how he could make a photo when maybe he was not in the best of moods or not feeling really up to it. His reply was that he was a journeyman photographer and that is what journeyman photographers do. Says a lot about how he thought of himself. Knowing he is not here anymore makes me miss him more.

lee\c

Images
    I think that I'll rent 'Funny Face'. Fred Astaire dancing around with a Rollieflex would make me smile
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    It's been a tragic year for our heros, RIP Avedon
    Still in sorrow over Newton. RIP Mr. Avedon. Greatly missed!

Shooter
    Large Format
    New York Times article includes good review of his life's work as well as slideshows.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I think that I'll rent 'Funny Face'. Fred Astaire dancing around with a Rollieflex would make me smile
    Neal well the though of it sure made me smile LOL

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just bought "Making the American West" a couple months ago and it really shows the true genius of the man and his work. I'm so sad.
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin