Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,409   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Avedon Dead at 81

Richard Avedon passed away today after having a brain hemmorage last week. He was one of my faves. This is according to Fox News at 11am PT.
    The Rat

Images
    It's been a tragic year for our heros, RIP Avedon
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You know, strangely, while taking my daughter to kindergarten a month ago I saw what I instantly recognized as Avedon's mug shot from what I think is the 60's. Poster sized and mounted to the pillar of a freeway overpass. I went back to see what the caption at the bottom said. I wanted to take it but it came apart in pieces as I tried to remove it. I thought the caption was fitting as not only a statement from the "artiste" who made the poster, but also what Avedon might say to his critics. It said simply, "Kiss My Ass".
    Indeed.
    The Rat

Shooter
    Large Format
    well s*it, today is just full of woderful news....I should have left the f***** computer off.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gone, but never forgotten..I know Lee was at the talk he did at the Amon Carter, here last year...sure glad we both made it. He was fun and full of life, sounds like he left this world doing what he loved - his person will be missed, his spirt will live a long, long time.

RIP
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Gods of photography are gathering their own back to the fold. As has been said his memory and spirit will be another's that will live on. Our thoughts reach out to his family and close friends.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suppose we are witnessing the passing of the greatest generation of photographers. My first photo editor died this week as well. He was 86. I'm sure he'll meet Avedon in heaven they'll argue over technique.

RIP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    "If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up," he said in 1970. "I know that the accident of my being a photographer has made my life possible." (Quote from a San Diego newspaper). An inspiring photographer who, like all too many lately, will be sorely missed.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the most recent issue of "the New Yorker" (10/04) has a wonderful Avedon photo in it. We should all be so fortunate to be able to keep it up to 81! He leaves an incredible body of work, and won't soon be forgotten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin