Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,828   Online: 857

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Who are the masters of street photography?

I'm trying to become a student of the art of Street Photography. My favorite photographer is Garry Winogrand, though I haven't had much experience with others. That's why I want to ask everyone who they consider to be the masters of the genre. Surely there of plenty of people I haven't heard of, and I was hoping that some of you who are more familiar with the genre can enlighten me as to who I should check out...

Street Photographers I know, in order of decreasing affection for what work of theirs I've seen:
    Garry Winogrand
    Elliott Erwitt
    Vivian Maier
    Diane Arbus
    Henri Cartier-Bresson
    Robert Frank
    Walker Evans

Photographers I know of but haven't looked at their photographs:
    William Klein
    Daido Moriyama

I'm especially having a hard time finding out who are the best of street photographers of today.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To your list, I'd certainly add Brassai, Atget, Doisneau, Ronis, and Helen Levitt.

This book is a pretty good resource for what's going on right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Photogr...8165534&sr=8-1

You may be interested in this as well. I found all of the videos interesting:

http://culture.wnyc.org/series/street-shots/
    Last edited by Shawn Rahman; 06-15-2011 at 02:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do not forget Robert Doisneau (my favourite) and Gianni Berengo Gardin (I had the honour and the pleasure to have a chat with him. A great Man and a great Artist)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jay Maisel - www.jaymaisel.com
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    August Sander, did a lot of work on the street, he is one of my all time favorites.
    Brassai is right up there as well as Shawn points out.

Saw a Garry Winogrand print in Kentucky this year along side of hundreds of master prints and have to say his image and print totally blew me away. Four or five people sitting on a park bench. This print if I could afford it would be on my wall for sure. I was so surprised about my reaction to his work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee Friedlander.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    August Sander, did a lot of work on the street, he is one of my all time favorites.
    Brassai is right up there as well as Shawn points out.

Saw a Garry Winogrand print in Kentucky this year along side of hundreds of master prints and have to say his image and print totally blew me away. Four or five people sitting on a park bench. This print if I could afford it would be on my wall for sure. I was so surprised about my reaction to his work.
    Hi Bob,

This one? http://www.masters-of-photography.co...fair_full.html

I'm sure it must look incredible in print. The good old days..nothing like being a street photographer in the '40s, 50s and 60s.

Best,

Max

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Raghubir Singh. I wouldn't trade him for a dozen Cartier-Bressons.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also Walker Evans, Tod Papageorge, Henry Wessel, Paul McDonough, Lee Friedlander, John Gutmann, Josef Koudelka, Mark Cohen, Frank Paulin, Tom Wood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's probably a little bit of a disjointed genre at the moment. Best and known are incongruent. I'd bet flickr is the go-to place right now.

Lots of variety on the Internet such as here: http://www.beauty-of-feminine.com/ ;lots of great stuff by people completely unknown. Nothing naughty or illegal, just street photography from all over the world focusing on the tasteful female subject.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin