Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 709

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

A very tough year for Photography

We have lost a lot of photogs this year. I will like to put together a list of who is gone for one of my photo classes and need a bit of help.

Oct 1 Richard Avedon
    Sept 26 Eddie Adams
    Aug 16 Carl Mydans
    Aug 3 Henri Cartier-Bresson
    Jul 11 Van Deren Coke
    May 19 Jack Leigh
    Jan 23 Helmut Newton
    Jan 6 Francesco Scavullo

Am I missing anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A local great photographer, Ron Wohlauer, passed on Mar 13. He was a great teacher and photographer. I can't find a lot of his stuff online, here's an article from the westword about him... http://www.westword.com/issues/2004-09-16/art.html and one from the Rocky Mountain News... http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...157586,00.html

It has been a sad year for photography. -Grant

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    what it means though is time for all of us who love photography to aspire to those greats and be great in our own lifetimes.

beautiful works are something that can inspire us all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try this link to Dead People Server for 2004

It is interesting that most of these greats were born in the 1920s and matured in the incredible changing world of the 1940s and the boom of the 1950s.

It seems that during times of great transition and upheaval great people emerge.

During times of stagnation or peace (for lack of a better term) we see less of this.

Since the late 1960s and early 1970s was also a time of transition I guess we should expect a new crop of wisdom and talent to soon take the place of these greats.

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, here in England, Fay Goodwin a great landscape Photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eriwin and Peggy Bauer both died within about a week of each other this year, Erwin was considered the father of modern wildlife photography and did many books on the subject during the 50's and 60's as well as worked on the Mututal of Omaha's Wildkinddom TV show and had many essays pubished in National Geographic over the last 40 years. Peggy who had been married to him for many years was also a great outdoors photographer in her own right, and took over the family business when Erwin could not do the stills anylonger, he did the video and Peggy continued on with the still photography.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky

Since the late 1960s and early 1970s was also a time of transition I guess we should expect a new crop of wisdom and talent to soon take the place of these greats.

Michael McBlane
    Assuming them durn hippies have any brains left from all of that there drug use, or haven't moved to Nappa or Sanoma and sold out
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    We have lost a lot of photogs this year. I will like to put together a list of who is gone for one of my photo classes and need a bit of help.

Oct 1 Richard Avedon
    Sept 26 Eddie Adams
    Aug 16 Carl Mydans
    Aug 3 Henri Cartier-Bresson
    Jul 11 Van Deren Coke
    May 19 Jack Leigh
    Jan 23 Helmut Newton
    Jan 6 Francesco Scavullo

Am I missing anyone?
    It was not until I read this thread today that I knew that Jack Leigh had passed on last year. As a long time admirer of this Georgia native son I was fortunate to have met Jack and visited with him several times when ever I could find him in his gallery in Savannah. I have most of his books signed by him and one also by James Dickey.

For an in depth report about Jack, go here

http://www.authorsden.com/visit/view...25279&id=16662

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    Am I missing anyone?
    Yes at least a couple or so:
    Don Hong-Oai
    Ellen Auerbach
    Helen Gee
    Ezra Stoller

Don Bryant

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin