Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,559   Online: 834

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Pshaw. Depends on your taste, of course, but Tom Waits did some of his best work in the 1980s, for instance. Industrial and experimental electronica got really interesting (Einstuerzende Neubauten, Clock DVA, Throbbing Gristle/Psychic TV). Detroit techno, Belgian techno, all that stuff on Wax Trax. The pre-grunge Seattle/Portland scene, from Green River through the commercial success of Soundgarden. A certain amount of good stuff buried in among the college-radio ephemera, before R.E.M. made it big and the genre got commercialized as "alternative".

I'll grant you that the mainstream stank, but the mainstream of popular music usually stinks. Whoever compared it to stock photography was spot on, I think; occasionally it does something good, mostly by accident, but mostly it's just more oversaturated pictures of sunsets.

-NT
    You've got me on Tom Waits. A true original genius in any decade.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (1950s/1960s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    All that, and even the pop music was largely stomachable, with all sorts of gems.
    I dunno. You know 1969? The height of the San Francisco Sound and all that? You know what was actually #1 that year?

"Sugar Sugar", by the Archies. (http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/1969.php)

OK, admittedly the charts from 1989 are a whole lot worse (I had to get to #47 before I found a song that I was sure shouldn't be shot on sight). Still and all, I think we tend to Photoshop our cultural memories more than we realize.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin