Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,816   Online: 965

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is the photography industry analogous to the music industry?

1. It used to be that musicians could play instruments and some could even read music
    2. Todayís musicians (and their music) lack talent, creativity, originality, and quality
    3. There are many times more people making ďmusicĒ these days with all of the computer software thatís out there
    4. If you strip away music videos, dancers and the sampling of other musicianís music most musicians are exposed as talentless
    5. The fans of this mediocre art form are oblivious to the lack of quality in the music
    6. Itís becoming harder to earn money because of all of the techno advances that allow a mediocre artist to make music without having real skills
    7. The marketing of the music is making it harder for the artist to earn money

Iím still listening to and preferring music from the 80ís and still using cameras from the 80ís and 90ís.

Would you care to list the analogies to photography to these bullets?

Shooter
    Large Format
    The digital revolution has had an impact on almost every art form -- music, photography, video/film and even writing. It used to take a third-party to make your work available to the general public; now all it takes is a computer and an Internet connection.

And, like every other revolution, it has been a mixed blessing.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Having been in the stereo business and having it as a hobby along with photography, the short answer imho is absolutely yes. As for the service said, i.e. the making of music and the making of an image, also the answer is yes. Sadly, for me anyway, it has meant a degradation of quality going from nalog to digital in both industries. Though in somne ways it has broadened the user market base.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    EricO, I think you have to be careful painting all musicians with a broad brush as though they were all part of the "industry"

I know a bunch of honest musicians that read music, play multiple instruments, play well, and like what they do. They are not famous or rich or faces of the "industry".

point 1 is true, but could still be true, but it's quite an assumption.

Point 2 is dead wrong. Toss out your rolling stone magazine and go to some nearby smaller concerts, go online, etc..

point 4, just watch youtube for good homegrown no frills talent. Lots of it, just as long as you avoid the chart topping names.

point 5. Is a bit of a stretch. I like some quality music and I also like some mediocre stuff because it's different and original rather than polished. I kinda like live albums too since they are more energetic and less perfectly polished that something smoothed over till it's bland in a studio.

point 6&7, I think it's never been easier for a musician to self promote and put out music, equally for the talented and less talented.

I guess if the list were better I could make some analogies, but #5 is an easy crossover.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haha, what good music that was produced in the 80's are you listening to?
    j/k you need to realize art is quite subjective.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    1. It used to be that musicians could play instruments and some could even read music
    2. Today’s musicians (and their music) lack talent, creativity, originality, and quality
    3. There are many times more people making “music” these days with all of the computer software that’s out there
    4. If you strip away music videos, dancers and the sampling of other musician’s music most musicians are exposed as talentless
    5. The fans of this mediocre art form are oblivious to the lack of quality in the music
    6. It’s becoming harder to earn money because of all of the techno advances that allow a mediocre artist to make music without having real skills
    7. The marketing of the music is making it harder for the artist to earn money

I’m still listening to and preferring music from the 80’s and still using cameras from the 80’s and 90’s.

Would you care to list the analogies to photography to these bullets?
    I'd just head back under the cosy rock and resume pretending it's the 80s. Analogies? I don't really see any, sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I heard today on NPR that FedEx and UPS might not need pilots to fly cargo planes before 2021.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Man, I was really hoping for another digi-bashing thread. I was getting bored with the other 500.
    K.S. Klain

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I heard today on NPR that FedEx and UPS might not need pilots to fly cargo planes before 2021.
    Trolls have recently cornered all the prime real estate under the world's bridges, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I began making images some time before by the early 1970's music and photography have been inter-twined although the music side of my photography is quite separate from the rest of my work.

Those UK members who remember Splodginess Abounds will be glad to hear I refused to photograph then ( at No 1 at the time with "Two Pints of Lager and a packet of crisps)

Perhaps photography is like music, talentless wonders do get recognition, but not by the discerning.

One of the best LP's I have is one mainly only known to musicians," If I Could Only Remember My Name" David Crosby, and when I think back seeing musicians like Tim Hardin knocks spots off almost all the better known musicians I've seen before & since.

Ian

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin