Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,031   Online: 862

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Who was the photographer...?

I remember as a kid looking at a book of photographs, where the photographer strung hundreds of flash bulbs on his subject and fired them at once at the instant of exposure. I remember him doing this with a locomotive and drive in theater. I think it was in the 1930s or 1940s. Does anyone know his name?
    Peter Abzug
    Inside Exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format

Get his book Steam, Steel and Stars

Zug: I have his book called Steam, Steel and Stars. It is a book of interest to both photographers and steam locomotive folks. Probably the neatest thing about the book is how he captured not only great shots but how he also captured a time gone by. One of his famous pictures is of a young couple sitting in a big Buick (which by the way was his) as they watch a movie with a jet on the screen and a steam locomotive goes by in the background. If anyone wanted to document a present day lifestyle that will be passing, that is a good book to read for ideas too. Link's cameras and equipment are on display in a museum that you can find on the net. He used a 4X5 for most of his work and it is interesting how he put pictures together to get the photos he wanted. I recommend it for photographers and railroad enthuseist (sp?) alike. Ric.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    YES! That's it! Ogle Winston. Thank you both!!
    Peter Abzug
    Inside Exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Zug: I have his book called Steam, Steel and Stars"

My grandfather was a railroadman. My brother got that book for my Dad as a birthday or Christmas gift. It is excellent.

Ric, you make a good point: how do you see what is valuable/memorable about the current culture before it changes? I love old signs. In the past 10 years, I've seen a lot of them disappear around here. Very sad to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you are in the DC area, you might want to know there is a whole museum dedicated to his work in Roanoke, VA.

http://www.linkmuseum.org/

No, Roanoke is not close to DC, but close enough to mention.

Never been, myself, but love his work and would like to go sometime. It's not any closer to Delaware, either!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Bill...I'll look into it. Roanoke is an easy trip.
    Peter Abzug
    Inside Exposure

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin