Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,174   Online: 982

Shooter
    Medium Format

Jules Aarons - Boston street Photographer

Tonight on the WNED broadcast of This Old House, they are working on the home of Jules Aarons, and had quite a discussion and display of his work, what he did and photographed and where his dark room was. He used a Rolleiflex, looks to be an Automat 3.5. Makes me want to take out the 'flex and do some shooting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I saw this segment as well. It was very good I had not heard of Jules Aarons before this.

It doesn't apear PBS has the video. I did find it on YouTube, http://youtu.be/JadKBdduj7U ,catch it while it lasts.

Joel.
    "Do not lose sight of the essential importance of craft" - Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does anybody know what kind of Rolleiflex he used?

Shooter
    35mm
    I would point out that Dr. Aarons was also a world class ionospheric physicist, having done forefront research for decades on the effects of the upper atmosphere and its variations on radio wave propagation and signal distortion. He was active well into his eighties and was for many years head of the Center for Space Physics at Boston University, after retiring from the Air Force Geophysics Laboratory at Hanscom Field in Lexington, MA.

A professional biography/obituary is at:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/sta...umber=04939037

Unfortunately, it appears that a metol allergy ended his darkroom activities in the early 1980s. Still, he was an amazing and talented individual in many fields.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for sharing !!! Very interesting, I didn't know him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That turned out to be much better than I expected. Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for that video, absolutely worth it!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin