Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,256   Online: 807

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Requesting Help With a Weegee Project

I finally broke down and ordered a copy of Weegee by Weegee.

I've wanted to read his autobiography for some time and haven't been able to find a copy for less than $50. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places.

Anyways....

Since it's out of print and difficult to find, I was interested in putting back into the photo community.

I plan on creating an e-book of it for those who are interested in reading it.

I have a somewhat busy schedule, so I'm requesting help in doing this.

If anyone owns a copy of the book and would be willing to type up a few pages, it would be much appreciated and would speed (graphic) this up quite a bit.

Also, since I'm not a computer expert, I may, when it's done being typed up, be interested in some help in converting it to different formats so that it can be displayed on as many devices as possible.

If anyone is interested in helping me in any way, either reply here or email me at:

iamfuntography (at) gmail (dot) com

Thank you very much in advance for any help and/or interest in this project.

-James.

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also, I'm only doing this because the book is out of print and uncommon. I have no interest in commercial gains from this and no interest in fame or any other benefits other than offering people a chance to read this book that they wouldn't otherwise be able to enjoy. I would not be doing this at all if the book was still in print, and if by some chance some publisher resumes printing it before I complete this project, it will be scrapped.

This request for assistance will be posted on a couple other photo communities, so please, if you email me, only do it once.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Are you the copyright holder for this book? If not, you need permission from them or you could get into serious legal trouble. In the US, copyright is held until 90 years after the creator's death. In this case, Arthur Felig died in 1968, so the copyright remains in effect until 2058.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very fishy. People get paid for this--really! Research, creative/editorial, production services aren't free where I live. Lucky me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just because a book is out of print does not mean that the copyright has expired.

Weegee's entire body of work is in the collection of the International Center of Photography in New York, NY, and they are the copyright holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You cannot be serious. You come here openly looking for accomplices in your crime? Get lost!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In light of the aforementioned copyright constraints you might want to rethink your project. Perhaps you should consider contacting the current copyright holder (ICP, per 'rthomas' above?) and request legal permission to freely copy and redistribute the work in question. I have no doubt they will advise you directly as to their position in the matter.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sure your suggestion is made with the best of motives, but it really would be a series copyright violation. However, why not get in touch with the ICP to see if there would be interest in them providing such a re-issue. (Or offer your services. For a fee though.) However, to transcribe a whole book would be a bit of a pointless mission. Often, when text books are reprinted in 'classic' cheaper editions, such as out of copyright Charles Dickens paperbacks, each page is simply scanned from an older volume ready to be compiled for printing on press. There is also software that can convert the visual file of the words into a text file, though it needs to be proof read to ensure no letters have been mis-read. However, as the previous comments state, doing it yourself will get you in lots of trouble.

If you haven't seen it, try and get hold of a copy of Limelight by Helen Gee from Abebooks.com which is about her photography gallery/cafe in Greenwich Village in the 50s. Fascinating read. Weegee and lots of others like Steichen, Robert Frank and W. Eugene Smith feature.

Oops. Beaten to it by the above post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a little rough, 2F. Are you serious? Did you actually believe that James was intent on involving you in a criminal escapade? Stop being such a self-righteous bully! I agree that the request is out of line, but I believe that James was honestly mistaken regarding the legalities of his position. Some kind and guiding advice would go a lot farther in our dwindling film community than telling him to get lost.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    That's a little rough, 2F. Are you serious? Did you actually believe that James was intent on involving you in a criminal escapade? Stop being such a self-righteous bully! I agree that the request is out of line, but I believe that James was honestly mistaken regarding the legalities of his position. Some kind and guiding advice would go a lot farther in our dwindling film community than telling him to get lost.
    Possible infringement issues notwithstanding, this sort of post is really just a chum slick, pitched to attract the uninformed and naive. No qualms with 2F's uppercut.

"I have a somewhat busy schedule, so I'm requesting help in doing this."

I read: "The opportunity cost of my time is so high, you should be grateful for the chance to all but do the project for me." I don't think this a hobby project for the OP; had it been so, he'd have done it himself--happily.

Although he admits he's spread his chum slick of requests for help elsewhere, I don't see much honesty here, though. Sounds too much like a whiney undergrad jonesing for research/writing they can't/won't do themselves.

No one owes the OP beans on this "project." Best of luck to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin