Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,813   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

clyde butcher - website visit

I was thumbing through a photo magazine today and saw a mention of some photos clyde butcher took in the mountains of cuba.
    I saw a mention of his web address so I ventured over to it....

wow. I love clyde butchers photography he truly is a master.... but what is with his website. that is quite literally one of the worse organized, worse layed out things Ive seen. in fact I got to the point of such frustration of not even being able to find images to browse through, I just ended up leaving.

anyone else find this also to be the case?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, you are correct and while I think much of his work looks good in the publications I have seen and on the web site, others here can tell you what his work looks like in person.
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    He makes Digital carbon prints, nuff said. Sellout weenie, okay that is enough said.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    :o REALLY! What about all those publicity snaps of he and his assistants feeding gigantic posters through gigantic trays of chemicals. (Never really followed his work, though have admired it).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Lets not be too hard on the guy, he sells the ink jets at a much discounted price than the real prints. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Been to his Labor day open house & to his Venice gallery for a workshop, and find his work very stunning. Has quite an impressive darkroom with the separate wet area being a series of trays at least 4' wide. His assistant/son in law does much of the printing ( my impression from talking to him) under guidance of Clyde.
    As far as Clyde's digital output, his suppliers have over-sold their products to him, as in his claim about archival quality of his digi-carbon prints. His web-site seems cluttered, more folksy than professional as you might expect from a family operation.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a chance to see his travelling exhibit last year. They were all very large prints 20x24 up to 5'x7'. From the proper viewing distances they are great. When I got very close to the prints they fell apart for me. His vision & composition is fantastic, but his craftsmanship leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of blown highlights, poor focus, & poor print spotting is what I saw. Don't get me wrong, I do love his work. Prints that large are always neat to look at. Most non-photography folks would probably not inspect the prints as closely as I did.

Images
    Hmmm.......... I went to the web site and had no problem browsing the images. The "Home" button in the galleries didn't work, but other than that it was fine.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    His vision & composition is fantastic, but his craftsmanship leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of blown highlights, poor focus, & poor print spotting is what I saw. Don't get me wrong, I do love his work.
    Why? From what you're telling me, the work possesses not a single redeeming defect. When you enlarge it, guess what you get? Bigger defects.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I enjoy his work because of his vision. His prints bring me to places that are prehistoric in my mind. His use of the sky is powerful. I just wish his craftsmanship was on par with his vision. IMO his art is good, but it could be great.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin