Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,079   Online: 1133

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Photographers dying...

I was looking through my photographic books and realised that many of my favourite photographers have died in the past year or so:Herb Ritts,Helmut Newton,Richard Avedon...what's going on?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvinder Sunila
    I was looking through my photographic books and realised that many of my favourite photographers have died in the past year or so:Herb Ritts,Helmut Newton,Richard Avedon...what's going on?
    It's called life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know how to tell you this but your born, live for a short while then turn back into compost .... so many of the greats are from the same era and it's their turn to die

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gentlemen!!
    So cynical! Oh sure, it's that old 'circle of life' thing...but please...a moment of silence here for our dear departed brothers in film!

Harvinder Sunila...we feel your pain! From developer to fixer...and then to dust (too short of time in the fixer, no doubt)...we all must fade like color photos from the 70s.

Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What!...you mean we don't live forever, I'm sure I read somewhere on the net that we live forever?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only, and I repeat ONLY if we are printed on fiber, fixed and rinsed properly, toned in selenium and have magic incantations said over us! haha
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree it's sad. I feel the same way about famous actors that I loved to watch when I was a kid. I knew there would come a day when I'd have to watch them die off and sure enough.......

As for photographers, most of my favorites are long gone. My current favorites are pretty young and I may well outlive them, thankfully.

Question is, are any of us becoming the 'favorites' of any young ones out there?

-Mike

Images
    It is a down hill slide from conception on.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Even Ansel had to go to the "Final Wash". That is why we need to celebrate life with friends, family, and film.
    As I get older, I feel like I am apartment hunting when I pass by a cemetery.
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The best part is they left something endearing behind that we can continue to enjoy. Hey, if we have enough money, we can even own a piece. While many knew these few, most only know their published works. The families and friends miss the person, the masses, like me will miss the unrealized new work. Like how I miss new music from SRV.
    The Rat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin