Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,557   Online: 1175

Shooter
    Multi Format

Exhibitions & Progress - Thomas Stanworth's Afghanistan Projects

I am not quite sure that this is the right place as it is about me, but I am a photographer I guess so...

I wanted to post an update of my Afghanistan work (all film bar one or two images) on a new website www.thomasstanworth.com and let those who might be interested know that I finally have my London debut in the form of a fundraising exhibition in support of War Child (http://www.warchild.org.uk/), assisted by Deutsche Bank, to be held throughout November this year. While some of my work was exhibited earlier this year in New York and Arles, France, its great to have prints going up in the UK for a change!

I have been the lucky recipient of support and guidance from some wonderful people, including Robin Bell (www.robinbell.com), who has printed many of the images. The others will remain nameless, but I am no less indebted to them for their faith and patience. There really are some tremendous people out there ready to share wisdom and support, but I'll admit its not easy finding them!

I will soon be completing a very different project in India before moving on to a long-term documentary project in West Africa.

At present, the website does not provide much background on the images, but that will change as I write text for the November exhibition. I'll post it on my website as sections become available, but in the meantime, feel free to ask if you are interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom,

Your Afghan work is excellent. I've just had a quick look but are these the same images are seen on your previous site?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent work Tom. My own view is that specific projects are really the only way to work and what you're amassing sems to confirm that.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom,

You are mostly correct. Some are new (more so in 'Afghan Heroin: NFE'), but most are the same. About ten more images will find their way online next time I am home reducing the overlap between the two projects; just need to copy the prints. I've almost finished the India project and will post these when complete by the end of the year. I just need one more trip after finding that cooler weather threw a few spanners in the works last time I visited.

I also have images from a small project shot in support of the charity Variety Club, which are awaiting copy & upload.

Progress has been slow with lots of upheaval. The last 12 months really have been occupied by determining how I wish to go forwards photographically and economically, while working on getting my images 'out there.' Now that I have found that clarity and sorted out work/home issues, the next 12 months should be interesting! I've continued shooting and experimenting all the while, but most importantly I have a list of projects I am keen to shoot and better contacts to make that happen. As always, lots of time goes into preparation and hopefully it won't be wasted.

Oddly enough I want to continue primarily shooting film and making silver prints.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin