Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,571   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Male Gaze

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nobuyoshi Araki.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Jean Loup Sieff's Nude work

Most Playboy Photographers with the exception of Bitesnich, in the category a little perverted male gaze we have David Hamilton. Steven Meisel's Opium Add (one of the best nudes in advertisment history imho) in the category banned but beautiful.

Dominik

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For old school verve, there's Sam Haskins.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph Gibson. Also Harry Callahan's lifelong photographic relationship with his wife is worth exploring.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    How about Alfred Steiglitz's multiple loving portraits of Georgia O'Keeffe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the male gaze is used widely in advertising. In modern consumer culture, there's power in consumption. Check out car magazines any periodicals that involve male power. The ads try to appeal to wimpy men that want to consume their way to the modern definition of powerful manhood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out Jeanloup Sieff
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What about taking the question outside the predictable genres?

Is the heroic vision of the landscape an example of the male gaze? What are its alternatives?

Is there a male gaze in architectural photography, and what would it be opposed to?

How about still life or commercial product photography, which is all about desire, acquisition, possession, power, and other potentially gendered categories?

I think the interesting way to approach this would be to think about what qualities gender the gaze, and then "test" the theory against kinds of photography that aren't about sexuality in any obvious way.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I kinda agree with David A. in the above post- try and take the male gaze outside of the objectification of women. (However, it sounds like you have already cultivated a lot of sources that address that area, so you probably will stick with that area.) The camera as an instrument of the male gaze can be applied to landscape, still life even awkward family photos. All can be argued as being intrinsically male in their implementation. The dominance over nature, a historically feminized space, ownership of objects producing social class status, or elevation of status through ownership, the evidential proof of dominance or ownership over the family unit in a patriarchal society through family photos taken by a male family member.

These are all possibilities. There is and has been a lot of work in the area of the male gaze in the last 30 years since Laura Mulvey's essay "Visual Pleasure in Narrative Cinema."

Also, dont forget that you can differentiate between the camera being the instrument of the gaze and the male figures within an image creating their own gaze. Characters that were created by and for a white male audience for the purposes of scopophelia.

Hope that your paper comes out well-
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    How about Arney Freitag or better yet Bob Guccione....or Jeff Dunas or Robert Farber.....Or Ralph Gibson......the list is endless.....even Annie Leibovitz for that matter....or Garry Winogrand or Lee Friedlander......depends on your argument for sure. two more...Herb Ritts....Albert watson.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin