Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,690   Online: 774

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Images

Post your Artist's Bio Here!

I'm working on my bio this evening, I need some inspiration, and motivation. Why not post yours here so we can all see how each others is different and similar? I'll post my rough draft as soon as I get it closer to porper english
    hi!

Images
    What is the point behind an artist's bio anyway?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi, My Name is Deniz Merdanogullari and i could not be more glad that i am not an artist of any type...
    I just like playing with cameras and occasional trip pf the shutter happens when i touch the relase button by mistake.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

BIO

Well let's see -I never went ART school. I did a workshop with Fred Picker once and Ilearned to Platinum Print from Arkady Lvov at The New School. Ansel Adams said that after you make 10,000 negatives you START to become a photographer. I've made about 5,000 now and one can start to actually understand what he said. Photographing is about dedication and the love of it NOT about your BIOGRAPHY!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think if you want to sell work you need a good bio. When I start selling at the local gallery I plan to have a professionally printed card hanging under each print that has a bio and a self-portrait of me in my darkroom. Haven't decided what the text will be yet so am also interested in this thread..

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I feel for you Brian. There's only one thing I hate more than a bio and that's an artist's statement. I cringe at the thought of reading ones that I've had to write in the past. When you come up with a good one please post it and make sure to leave a blank space where your name goes so that I can plagerize it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    What is the point behind an artist's bio anyway?
    Something tells me you wouldn't understad even if I explained rrrreeeeaaaalllll slllllooooooowwww..
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once upon a time in a land far away.... Oh...no wait... that was something else. Er...You know every time I see those things it irks me that they are written in 3rd person. Especially if somewhere the person loses track & includes a statement in first person. "Mr. X enjoys loading film and taking pictures. His unique style is influenced by his interaction with Captain Kangaroo when he was a child....I hope you enjoy this site and buy my pictures." ARGHHH!!!!!
    In short, Brian, whatever you write...write it well!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    Something tells me you wouldn't understad even if I explained rrrreeeeaaaalllll slllllooooooowwww..

Oh please Missa Brian, feed me from the tree of yo knowledge. I's promis ta think real hard and listen good, s'long as you talk slow and use words my ignant mind can hold onta.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a publicist write one for me which I didn't like (and can't find at the moment), but a newspaper did print one of my images for the show the PR was associated with.

I wrote a narrative that is Bio esq. for a show. I'll post it in the hope that others with more developed Bios will act in kind.

Foreword
    Generally, I find the things artists say about their shows to be less than useful. It seems to me that the work either stands up or not, and no amount of words will rescue a bad show nor will they ruin a good one. But, those who are much smarter than I tell me I should include some biographical information and a word or two about the show. If you find the information to be useless feel free to move on to the catalogue -- it is far more telling

Biographical Nonsense
    I was at one time a painter. I find myself inadvertently referring to my photographs as paintings even though it has been almost twenty years since I’ve painted seriously. When I went to college, I went to study painting and art history and, through an elective, discovered ceramics. With clay I found a touchstone particularly in low fire white clay bodies and various oxidizing and oxygen reduced (Ra ku) glazes. I have always found a severe beauty in the balance of the material, and the process when filtered through my personal vision. In other words when my vision or idea was good and I chose the proper materials and worked the process correctly wonderful things happened.

I see film and photographic paper as a material to achieve an end. The process of choosing a film, paper, and type of film processing that will best fulfill the requirements of the subject and my vision are an extremely natural way for me to create art. I could not care less about the politics of Fuji v. Kodak or digital v. traditional photography. Each process has a place as do all materials that can be successfully utilized. I had a ceramics teacher once say that there was no such thing as a bad glaze only bad applications. This as much as anything addresses my approach to photographic materials

The remainder of the text addresses the show.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin