Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,260   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wynn Bullock in Lenswork

I just received my copy of Lenswork yesterday. I was floored by the Wynn Bullock portfolio and can't get it out of my mind. The print on the back cover, titled "Taillights", is simply amazing. I have seen his nude work in the past & it never really connected with me; but the images in this Lenswork portfolio are incredible. His use of light, texture, & lines is masterful. WOW!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt,
    I just got my copy yesterday and I agree. I believe the price for each individual print is $99, but you can buy the entire 10 print portfolio for $195. I wish I had the extra cash to splurge, but if I did I would probably be shopping at the Contact Print Ebay Store first!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Wynn Bullock is my single favorite photographer. Lenswork did a nice job, particularly in its choice of some of the lesser know Bullock pictures. Given the quality of the reproduction, though, I wish Brooks had included "Erosion" in the issue. It's long been one of my favorites.

The nudes from the era have always seemed a little incongruous to me. e.g., Why exactly is the naked girl sitting in the window? Why is the naked girl lying on the tree?

I think Peter Gowland summed it up best, "Decide whether you're going to take a picture of the girl or the beach. If you try to include both, you'll do justice to neither."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Tom,
    "Erosion" is one of my favorites too. Several years ago while visiting a friend in Carmel, he took me around and showed me where Wynn made a few of his images. "Erosion" was one of the images, I would have drove right past it. A good lesson for me, slow down and look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt -

I can't agree with you more. My copy sat on the desk for about a week until I finally sat down last Sunday to read it seriously - and in looking at Bullock's images I was amazed at his ability to see great pictures in the most mundane things.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    "Taillights", is simply amazing..... WOW!
    WOW indeed, Matt.

I have had this very image on my top ten list for a great many years now and it is nowhere near ready to loose its place as one of my all time fovorites. What an incredible image it is. I also find his "typewriter" to have qualities that are rarely found in photographs. His vision and technique were just astonishing. A true Master of the camera he was.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My all-time favorite picture (for the last year anyway) is the rattlesnake in a tin can. One of his later pictures too.

Does anyone know what paper/developer and film/developer he used? I know he had an Ansco 8x10 early on, but I've never seen any discussion of his equipment. I think he had a patent on controlling solarization from before he met Weston, so he obviously had spent some time in the darkroom.

Thanks,

William
    "I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my case , Wynn Bullock was a classic case of stereotyping. I had only ever seen the nudes series with the models in the forest. This portfolio has opened my eyes to his 'other' work.

The taillight is exceptional, as is the whole portfolio

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    For those new to Wynn Bullock, recommend the Phaidon 55 book on him. It's only about $8 or so, I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wynn Bullock was one of the first photographers whose work simply awed me. His pictures of sea palms, the old pier, the empty canneries and most of the nudes still leave me feeling unworthy. "Navigation Without Numbers" is probably my favorite but there are so many others I admire, it's hard to really pin down one as a favorite.

I am arguing with myself about ordering the set of photos from Lenswork. I really, really, really want to buy those photographs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin