Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,587   Online: 1194

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Looking for a color photographer for a paper

Hello,

I'm writing a short paper for a class on a color photographer, and I was wondering who your favorite "master" of color photography is. I love Saul Leiter, but they used him in class so I'd feel like a cheater to use his stuff.

Any suggestions of similar photographers? Who's your favorite color photographer?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ernst Haas. Pete Turner. Alex Webb.
    I don't have one favorite, but there's a few of my favorites.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Eliot Porter, large format color landscapes.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eggleston?
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Joel Meyerowitz (last name most definitely spelled incorrectly). Check out the book Cape Light.

Shooter
    35mm
    The most colourful book I have is "Colour is Power" by Robert Walker. Some scans here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-...ery/0500542597
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out the early color work by Edward Steichen.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Erwin Fieger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ernst Haas and Clifford Coffin are my favorites.

Coffin's story is interesting because he was a character and a half, and also because was very well known and sought after as a fashion photographer in his heyday. But he basically dropped off the face of the Earth and out of common photographic knowledge for various reasons, including his open homosexuality and his being very difficult to work with. He was very brutal on models and a real perfectionist. And how many people were flamingly out of the closet back then? Also, most of his work was destroyed by a vandal who targeted him specifically. The only examples of his work that remain are from the vaults of Vogue, Look, etc...and I think those are mostly prints, not film. On a technical level, he was among the first in the fashion world to make heavy use of color film. He also was a master of making something out of nothing. His props and setups are usually incredibly simple. He perhaps pioneered the use of decayed and destroyed urban structures as backdrops for fashion photography; he was doing this in the '40's with the ruins of post-war Europe. I am pretty sure he didn't invent the ring light, but he popularized it's use for fashion photographs, and built, or at least designed, his own unit. He "discovered" Audrey Hepburn and brought her into the public's eye. I would call him a "lost master" of color photography. He was very forward thinking, and heavily influential on the world of fashion photography to this day.

Haas is interesting because of his weighty career accomplishments (being president of Magnum for a time is among them) and because of his philosophical writing on photography.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-17-2011 at 04:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin