Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,969   Online: 1035

Shooter
    Multi Format

Happy Birthday, Moonrise

Born on Oct. 31, 1941, "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" is 70 years old today...

http://www.anseladams.com/Articles.asp?ID=145

...or tomorrow, according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonris...ez,_New_Mexico

Anyway, a senior citizen and still looking great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonder if that image has generated more money than any other image from any other photographer, suppose to be Adams most popular image.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just 2 weeks ago I saw an original print of this and the entire Museum Set for the first time. This was at the Lake County Museum in Wauconda, Illinois. I got to spend 3 hours rubbing my nose up against all 70 pictures and it was quite an experience for someone who has never seen any Adams original print in person. In Moonrise I was surprised by wisps of clouds, just barely visible around the moon, that never make it into reproductions.

I don't care what people say about his sentimentality and romanticism. It was a humbling experience to see this overview of an artists life work as re-visioned by the artist himself near the end of his life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    mike c - In terms of print sales, Moonrise was the most popular of Adams prints, but when you consider what he charged for prints, it doesn't even come close to some of the modern art photographs. I had the opportunity to purchase a Moonrise in 1975 just before Ansel announced he would stop making original prints. The asking price? $1500.00 A lot then, but what an opportunity lost.

There was also a Moonrise Anniversary show with people bringing in variations of the Moonrise as Ansel printed it throughout his career. I remember seeing an 11 x 14 print in a Houston gallery and the clouds above the moon were quite visible. Oh, and the print was very warm toned.

I hope Merg Ross chimes in, he probably has some good stories about this photograph.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe, it seems when Moon Rise comes up at action house's it very hi priced, and they come up often at the large art auction houses from what I have read., there has to be many prints made from this neg large and small.May be the prints are recycled thru new generations of fans of Adams.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps as a sum total it has to be, if not the one, one of the most valuable images. There are well over 1000 IIRC. It is a photograph that makes his "visualization" maxim a bit moot though since he printed it so many different ways and sizes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I believe Ansel (or his assistants) printed over 1,000 original Moonrise photographs and at those prices Ansel made a bunch of money from their sale. The original owners may have re-sold at auction and made very good profit.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is what I'm thinking,don't know how often a print change's ownership,but if a popular one the price must go up I'd think.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a VHS tape of Ansel telling the story behind "Moonrise". I take it out now and then and marvel as he tells how he figured the exposure in his head without a meter....A remarkable man and a master photographer. Sadly, I opted for a Moon and Half Dome print years ago instead.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin