Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,859   Posts: 1,583,123   Online: 896

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    You so don't get it, do you? Just more of the usual, endless, uncomprehending sour grapes whenever anything unconventional rolls by here.

Some get it, some don't. The ones who do are obviously willing to pay millions for it and the ones who don't, wouldn't drop a dime. As always, to each his own. Human nature. What gets tiring is the same old arguments that don't have a leg to stand on. Art is purely subjective and someone's crap may be someone else's gold. I am sometimes amazed at how much money some prints sell for (inkjet and non), just like I am sometimes amazed that someone would by one of my prints that I think is nothing special. I think we can all quit the judging and go make some pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I Hope That Some Day An APUG, Or Even A DPUG Member Will Be ' Criticized '
    For Creating The Worlds Most Expensive Photograph.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    I think we can all quit the judging and go make some pictures.
    Thanks For The Reminder Max !

I don't think Mr. Gursky would be in this position, if he was being critical of other artists ...

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My comments are long and unbelievably fascinating (and self-serving). Check em out at my blog, linked in my signature.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Was the photo sold by Gursky or by a private collector if it is the later gursky won't see a dime from the sale, the same thing with Sherman's selfportrait. Gursky's photo is not my taste but tastes differ furthermore the art market has nothing to do with art and everything to do with the market. Art is sold like stock and just like the stockmarket it mostly produces bubbles created by some selfserving individuals. Never forget who Damien Hearst's best costumer is the answer is simple Damien Hearst. He buys most of his works and creates the illusion of being one of the most expensive Artists in the world, while in reality he buys the stuff himself basically he's a fraud. I doubt that Gursky buys his own work I rather believe that the market creates artist no matter what the artists does for the simple reason to have something to sell.

Dominik

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Was the photo sold by Gursky or by a private collector if it is the later gursky won't see a dime from the sale, the same thing with Sherman's selfportrait. Gursky's photo is not my taste but tastes differ furthermore the art market has nothing to do with art and everything to do with the market. Art is sold like stock and just like the stockmarket it mostly produces bubbles created by some selfserving individuals. Never forget who Damien Hearst's best costumer is the answer is simple Damien Hearst. He buys most of his works and creates the illusion of being one of the most expensive Artists in the world, while in reality he buys the stuff himself basically he's a fraud. I doubt that Gursky buys his own work I rather believe that the market creates artist no matter what the artists does for the simple reason to have something to sell.

Dominik
    I'm guessing that's why it's called the art "market."

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't think much of his work until I saw a couple of his pieces in an exhibit. I like them alot. Just wish I had a wall big enough and a wallet even bigger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post

Dominik

Is that true about Hearst? I never cared for his crap but my brother has a print. I like how he makes a series of prints, then prints them again but rotates them 90 degrees and voila - new piece. I always assumed he was a fraud but what you're saying - about him buying his own work - wow.

I think people like Gursky's work mostly because the prints are gigantic, and also because marketing makes the art and people are suckers. No way his stuff is going to hold that kind of ridiculous value over time. I hope whoever paid that price for this print bought it to enjoy because there's no way that was a good investment (unless there's an even bigger fool out there who will pay $10 million).

Shooter
    Large Format
    i would like to see a roomfilled with his work.

i'm glad someone is making money in this bad art-economy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Unless that room is the parade hall at the Park Avenue Armory, a room full of Gurskys will only net you three to four pieces.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin