Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,575   Online: 668

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i was thinking of a very very large room

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    First I have to corect a mistake I've made it's Damien Hirst and Hearst. If anyone is interested in how the contemporary art market was created watch Ben Lewis' Documentary The Great Contemporary Art Bubble UK 2009. It's available on you tube. Micheal the fact that Damien Hirst buys his own stuff is pretty well known in the Art World, he was already super rich (family money) before he became an artist. The whole Turner Price is a bit of marketing gag and has little to do with Art. But as has been previously stated it's called Art Market and not Art.

Dominik

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Good point, if you have enough money enjoy...... I have always like this photographers work and would love to see a full on exhibit.

As an investment I wonder what the buyer will be feeling like when the colour image fades to a cyan blob, its the only archille's heel point I see in large , expensive colour works on photographic paper or inkjet. Maybe there is a print replacement policy in place. I have always wondered how this issue is being solved, or is it being ignored for the first twenty years of a colour prints life, because after that it goes downhill quite fast depending upon where it is displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i would like to see a roomfilled with his work.

i'm glad someone is making money in this bad art-economy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    First I have to corect a mistake I've made it's Damien Hirst and Hearst. If anyone is interested in how the contemporary art market was created watch Ben Lewis' Documentary The Great Contemporary Art Bubble UK 2009. It's available on you tube. Micheal the fact that Damien Hirst buys his own stuff is pretty well known in the Art World, he was already super rich (family money) before he became an artist. The whole Turner Price is a bit of marketing gag and has little to do with Art. But as has been previously stated it's called Art Market and not Art.

Dominik
    Interesting I'll have to look into that.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Michael here's a link you might find interesting, http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/27/ar...ted=all&src=pm (he is also rumoured to have bought the famous diamond skull)
    btw I like some of Hirst pieces and also quiet a few of Gursky's but I am mostly fed up with the so called art market that ignores some really great artists in favour of friends or a group like the Becher pupils who brought nothing new to art or photography. Becher is simply the Neue Sachlichkeit from the german 1920's and their pupils are still doing pretty much the same thing just this time in color and it's getting old and boring.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i can almost imagine an exhibit of his work in some over the top gigantic location,
    like in/on storefronts up and down some shopping district or in a field as an installation.

that is a great point about replacement &c. i know of a lot of portrait shooters who had to replace an awful lot of prints
    because of fading and shift &c when light jet materials first came on the market and the materials were "troubled",
    but those portraits didn't cost 20-40K upfront to create ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Good point, if you have enough money enjoy...... I have always like this photographers work and would love to see a full on exhibit.

As an investment I wonder what the buyer will be feeling like when the colour image fades to a cyan blob, its the only archille's heel point I see in large , expensive colour works on photographic paper or inkjet. Maybe there is a print replacement policy in place. I have always wondered how this issue is being solved, or is it being ignored for the first twenty years of a colour prints life, because after that it goes downhill quite fast depending upon where it is displayed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    who cares if the photographer bought his own work,
    maybe this person has multiple personalities and marvin doesn't know what felix is doing.
    i'd hate to be rufus when he realizes his bank account is missing 5 million dollars

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Gursky photograph, it's so boring I could cry. If you took it out in the street and ran it over with a truck a few times, it might get to be interesting...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    The Gursky photograph, it's so boring I could cry. If you took it out in the street and ran it over with a truck a few times, it might get to be interesting...
    But someone else found it interesting enough to pay millions. That's what makes the world go 'round. One cannot be objective when criticizing someone else's work because, by nature, it is a subjective/personal opinion. So, the correct wording would be that it is boring for YOU. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pay $10 to hang that on my wall but I'm not shocked (nor upset) that someone else thinks it is other-worldly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    It's better than that Cindy Sherman malarki.
    Thats subjective......very subjective. I engage more with Sherman's work then this photo.

Me personally, I would have to see Gursky's work in person to form a decision. I certainly am not going to discount it as a piece of art.
    Last edited by hoffy; 11-10-2011 at 04:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin