Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,330   Online: 922

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must admit that I don't like that much. Why was it sold that much is beyond me.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great comment Thomas! This is exactly how I react. Gursky is a good businessman and knows what the art market wants. But to me it is not art as it does not arouse any emotion.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I like this photographers work and the scale at which he works at, I don't have the scratch or space to put up one of his pieces.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I, too, like Gursky's work, but by the general tone of the comments here and other threads about contemporary photography I hope nobody wonders why none of these photographers are willing to participate on Apug.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I, too, like Gursky's work, but by the general tone of the comments here and other threads about contemporary photography I hope nobody wonders why none of these photographers are willing to participate on Apug.
    Ouch. That really stung, Greg.

I think of it as a good trait of character to like whatever I want to like, without listening the vernacular of popular opinion.
    It becomes sticky, and difficult, if I happen to agree with popular opinion. Fortunately, this time, I don't. Contemporary photography? To me it's all just 'photography', and either I have a positive experience viewing a picture, or I don't. That is all there is to it. The intellectual side of it is completely uninteresting to me, because I hate labels with a passion.

I am fascinated by other people's opinions, however. So that I can try understand, what in particular is it about Gursky's work that appeals to you? I'm very interested to hear you opinion. Seriously. No knee jerk.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like some of his pieces quite a lot as images. I'm just not any more impressed by them being printed in gigantic sizes, and I don't think they are "worth" the prices they are commanding. In the end it is just a print, not a unique object. I guess you could say that about a lot of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    That just about sums it up Greg.

When I was younger I would have said anyone can do this Gursky image etc... As I have aged and become a little more enlightened about the world my opinions have changed.

You have to be in the game to play. You could be the greatest sandlot baseball player in history but since you are not in the Major Leagues it won't matter. Gursky is in the Majors because he spent his life doing the work that got him there. A lot of the comments in this thread are coming from the sandlot so to speak. I don't mean any offense by that I am simply conveying the truth. Take a step back and think about it.

Another factor for these comments lies in the simplicity of making a photograph. If we look at another art form, like music for example, this becomes apparent. Go onto YouTube and search for "cover". You will find endless horrendous ear grating covers of great songs written by great musicians. All of those people thought "I could do that too!" but they can't.

This is all not to say that I like this particular Gursky image because it doesn't really do anything for me. Some of his other images have become more interesting as I get older and I spend more time thinking about photographs.

To get back to Greg's post, imagine for a second if Gursky deigned to grace this forum with his presence. What would the comments be in that situation? What if you were sitting down with him for dinner or coffee? I guarantee that no one here would have the nut sack to say these things to his face because you would realize at that point how petty and insignificant your opinion really is.

Food for thought.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I like that one,,, nut sack,,, Dinesh you are a nut sack,,

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    oh this is ridiculous - every time a photograph sells for a large amount of money people on these forums start acting like a bunch of jealous teenage girls (what's SHE got that I don't have??) - it's not ABOUT any particular aspect of merit - and NO - none of you COULD make as 'successful' a photograph. It's not ABOUT 'photographic merit' in any way. It's because gursky is the tool of some wealthy business people. Like britney spears... he is paid as a celebrity and a representative of 'high culture'. Well there are certainly merits beyond that... but the pop music analogy isn't far off... so you can make music like britney spears?? well that's not exactly the point, is it? It's not about meritocracy. It never was.
    very well said. I appreciate your perspective and have changed my tune a bit as a result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Great comment Thomas! This is exactly how I react. Gursky is a good businessman and knows what the art market wants. But to me it is not art as it does not arouse any emotion.
    But he didn't sell it for the record amount. He sold it for waaaayyy less.

I really like and appreciate Gurskys work. I've seen some prints at a show at Moderna Museet in sthlm some years ago, I was in awe. He truly is great. Taken out of context rhein II isn't that impressive but put in an exhibition it's fabulous.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin