Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,944   Posts: 1,557,727   Online: 1184

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Lointain View Post
    To get back to Greg's post, imagine for a second if Gursky deigned to grace this forum with his presence. What would the comments be in that situation? What if you were sitting down with him for dinner or coffee? I guarantee that no one here would have the nut sack to say these things to his face because you would realize at that point how petty and insignificant your opinion really is.
    If Gursky cared enough to ask, I would look him straight in the face and tell him. I would have no problem doing that, because it's not like he needs my approval. It's my duty to tell it as I see it when people ask my opinion, and also consider it disrespectful to lie. I sincerely hope he would have enough respect for other humans, and accept that his work isn't for everybody, no matter how many millions of dollars his pieces fetch. And then again, if he did not ask me, why in the world would I bother telling him? That would also be rude.

Since Gursky will never come to APUG anyway, it's a moot point. In the meantime, excuse me while I go focus on something that I am actually interested in.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    But he didn't sell it for the record amount. He sold it for waaaayyy less.

I really like and appreciate Gurskys work. I've seen some prints at a show at Moderna Museet in sthlm some years ago, I was in awe. He truly is great. Taken out of context rhein II isn't that impressive but put in an exhibition it's fabulous.
    Maybe but I suspect he is smart enough to know what the art market expects from him. Who wants to kill the golden goose?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I, too, like Gursky's work, but by the general tone of the comments here and other threads about contemporary photography I hope nobody wonders why none of these photographers are willing to participate on Apug.
    Agreed. Tired of the fusty canon that rejects "contemporary" and "photography" used as a phrase. Just the same old herd of independent minds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i am not really sure why people are being argumentative about ...
    it isn't as if it really matters ( other to ourselves ) if we like or dislike
    photography, "modern photographic artwork" or anything else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Maybe but I suspect he is smart enough to know what the art market expects from him. Who wants to kill the golden goose?
    I agree. But I think it's important to understand that it isn't the photographer who haved haussed himself up to this levels. It's the market (and agents, curators and what not). This guy isn't some new prodigy, he had his first retrospective ten years ago, he doesn't dance after the markets fife, he has been continueing to evolve his image language in a quite special but still constant way. He has a certain style that has evolved over years and years of hard work, I find it hard to beleive that the market has looked the same all that time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Great comment Thomas! This is exactly how I react. Gursky is a good businessman and knows what the art market wants. But to me it is not art as it does not arouse any emotion.
    It’s interesting you say this, as this thread has now hit 7 pages.

It has dug up plenty of emotion. Some hate it, some like it, some are indifferent to it. I think that Gursky has achieved this objective.

The one thing I don’t understand from a lot of the comments is about this being ‘Commercial’. If this was commercial, would it not be reproduced as postcards, in books, as posters, limited edition reproductions? On some local Australian forums, I have seen mention and comparison to the likes of Ken Duncan (I.E., “how can you call the Gursky image as art – have a look at the likes of the Landscapes that Duncan does”). While Mr Duncan is certainly succesful, he milks all of his images for what they are worth. That is commercial.

And as for Gursky’s opinion on what a forum such as APUG thinks? Does he really care? Have you ever noticed that the likes of Gursky never appear on places like this. I wonder why. Have you also noticed that true artists don’t have websites? We had a local artist Darren Siwes (has pieces in the permanent collections of the national gallery) come and talk at my local photography club. When asked if we could view his images online, he kind of shrugged his shoulders. I suppose, when you get to a certain level, promotion is no longer necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    .....Have you also noticed that true artists don’t have websites? We had a local artist Darren Siwes (has pieces in the permanent collections of the national gallery) come and talk at my local photography club. When asked if we could view his images online, he kind of shrugged his shoulders. I suppose, when you get to a certain level, promotion is no longer necessary.
    Many artists have private websites. You will never know about them though unless you have the money to buy their work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    The one thing I don’t understand from a lot of the comments is about this being ‘Commercial’. If this was commercial, would it not be reproduced as postcards, in books, as posters, limited edition reproductions?

Have you also noticed that true artists don’t have websites?
    art that is in a gallery is as commercial as art that is on a billboard, there is no difference except for the "audience"

plenty of "true artists" have websites ... i could list some but then some might say " they aren't 'true artists' "

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    What a great photo. It would surely blow me away looking at a print that large.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Like all art critique there is no right answer because one person’s junk is another person’s art, so with that said I will attempt to describe, for me, why I find a lot of depth in Gursky’s work, especially Rhine II. His pieces are existential and make me think about my interaction with nature/society. Rhine II, is abstract, minimal, surreal, existential, and many other al’s. For me, as one who studied filmmaking, I tend to seek out stories or meaning in photographs and other art (painting, film, graphic design, street art, and many more…) that might be there/or not. For me, this relationship of art and its reflexivity are profound and why I love art. Am I just finding depth/meaning in art that doesn’t exist? Maybe, but there is no harm in that either? No (so long as I am not blowing the household’s money on abstract pieces of art that we can’t afford, i.e. Rhine II). As one who likes photography and its artistic merits, I am proud to see this piece so praised and valued so high. I think what this shows is that some folks will pay a premium for depth (that might exist or not).

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin