Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,715   Posts: 1,483,040   Online: 780

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My selection of master printers in the fine art photography world would include Paul Strand, Carleton Watkins, Bret Weston, Kipton Kummler, Dick Arentz, John Sexton, Bruce Barnbaum, and George Tice to name a few. Their knowledge and implementation of photographic craft and technique allows them to fully realize their individual and distinctive visions as artists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Taking is everything, as once the image is captured; printing or any other manipulation of the negative to print is of infinite variation within time. Only capture rules supreme. . . .
    Sometimes this has been true. When Kodachrome was King, we had to get it right in the camera. There was no postprocessing. Of course what was the right transparancy depended on the ultimate use. The projection equipment and the darkness of the room in which they were projected shoud be considered at the moment of exposure for the best results. Transparancies exposed for printing might not be ideal for projection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Within the small world of black and white negatives projected onto gelatin-silver paper I must be a master. After some decades of practice I can generate photographs that deliver anything possible within the technical constraints of a given negative and a given paper. I am sure that there are many many people in APUG who do this routinely.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The well-known Ansel Adams quote respecting the print being a performance, and the negative being the score, is what I think about when I think of "Master" printers.

I know I have always enjoyed discussing with other printers the options available. In particular, discussing the creative printing options available to help bring out the different possibilities of a negative.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin