Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,939   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Andrei Tarkovsky

With regard to still film photography, do we have any APUG people who appreciate the film making style of Andrei Tarkovsky? I think his cinematic technique is probably the nearest you can get to superb still photography. Andrey’s compositions are amazing. He will often keep the camera still and just change the lighting or scene.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, he is one of the great, he really has the photographic eye. He's an inspiration, no doubt.

Stalker really is the film that comes up first in my mind, and secondly, Anton Rubliev (which is one of the longest films I have ever experienced).
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have his notebooks translations until 4 day to his death. Soviets always critic him and never allowed to shoot a film for a very long time period , but he had many film projects in his mind. His films and music selection was extremelly good. Artemyev was his music composer for Stalker and it was the nicest music I have ever listened. Soviet symphonic rock and electronic music is faraway better than British ones.
    I watched a collection from first to last and wonderful.
    Thank you for reminding to collect soviet rock electronic music

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He is one of my favorite directors. He was also a pretty good photographer, although his photos don't quite manage to deliver the same superb poetry one can find in his movies.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Light-...3984580&sr=8-1

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Andrei Tarkovsky usually operated film camera by himself. Extremely rare occurrence on the film sets. I was watching some doc about him and they say that he was unable to give direction to the actors unless he was watching them thru viewfinder.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Andrei Tarkovsky

Stalker is my favourite.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am also a big fan of Tarkovsky (Andrei Rublev, Solaris, Stalker are my favs). I find that most of my favorite filmmakers and cinematographers have a strong influence/connection with still photography. Michelangelo Antonioni is another one of my favorites who uses very little camera movement and has very "layered" compositions that are quite amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He was a great film maker. I also like his Polaroids very much. Really poetic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Word OP! Tarkovsky's cinematography is one of the main things that drove me to become more interested in still photography (and actually artemyev's score for stalker did the same for electronic music/sound art, but that's a different story). Tarkovsky is the best of the best. And Stalker is the best thing he did. It's flawless. There are so many things I love about it. The fascination he has with decay and texture, and especially water. His absolute mastery of composition and of colour.The scene where they all fall asleep on the green boggy grass with all the pools of water, and there's the fire there, and then the dog appears. The leaning poles (crucifixes) when they first enter the zone. The sand pile room. The crazy high contrast b&w industrial landscapes at the start. And that's just visually...

Some his polaroids are available here riowang.blogspot.com/2010/06/tarkovskys-polaroids.html (sorry for the poor link the forum still wont let me do proper ones)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    His Polaroid series is very nice, though it's an expensive book for its size. I really like his black and white movie work: Ivan's Childhood is magnificently shot, and has indeed his recurring fascination with water.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin