Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,045   Online: 1195

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are some people who let success get to their heads, but I think the really serious artists are too focused on their work to worry about celebrity.

I was at a party last week at a publishing house focused mainly on journalism and human rights, and a writer/photographer came in and walked up to a few of us and said, "let me introduce you to a friend of mine. He's a photographer, Bruce Davidson," and I'm thinking, "wow, I'm finally at one of those New York parties people talk about all the time," but what a completely informal, unassuming guy. I asked him what he was working on, and he said he was producing a solo show for the Boston MFA, and talked about how it was great to work with the young, independent-minded curators there, and he said he was working on another project in LA, but felt he needed to find a local writer to collaborate with, so he wouldn't come off as an "East Coast snob."

If he didn't have that kind of accessible, easy-going personality, he probably couldn't do the kind of documentary work he does.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    If he didn't have that kind of accessible, easy-going personality, he probably couldn't do the kind of documentary work he does.
    That kind of attitude is worth a million bucks!

BTW.. when David A Goldfarb writes, I genuflect. Please don't let that go to your head!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always been heartened by the humbleness and directness of APUG people like PE, Ralph Lambrecht, and others.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    +1 P.E. is my hero.
    +2.
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the hero worshipping leads people up blind alleys as they automatically assume the posters are always right, and the lack of rigourous questioning compounds the errors.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    There are some people who let success get to their heads, but I think the really serious artists are too focused on their work to worry about celebrity.

I was at a party last week at a publishing house focused mainly on journalism and human rights, and a writer/photographer came in and walked up to a few of us and said, "let me introduce you to a friend of mine. He's a photographer, Bruce Davidson," and I'm thinking, "wow, I'm finally at one of those New York parties people talk about all the time," but what a completely informal, unassuming guy. I asked him what he was working on, and he said he was producing a solo show for the Boston MFA, and talked about how it was great to work with the young, independent-minded curators there, and he said he was working on another project in LA, but felt he needed to find a local writer to collaborate with, so he wouldn't come off as an "East Coast snob."

Wow... very cool David. I saw him speak a couple years ago in New Orleans, and he seems like a very down to earth photographer who was quite generous with his knowledge. I'm looking forward to seeing his show in Boston.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Yes, it is surprising who turns up here every-so-often.[SNIP]
    How true. There is a member here who used to work for the same employer I do, and I met him back when I worked in Seattle many moons ago. Total surprise. I won't say who, but he may in fact be retired and out practicing Australian right-hand turns on his Webster cycle (only a traffic signal engineer would get that one)...

This is a truly outstanding forum IMO to both learn and share information. I've learned a fair amount from numerous members in the short time I've been here, and I was actually able to help someone else out a few days ago from prior darkroom experience I had. Always feels great when you can give back something to the community.

I've said enough, I'll shut up for now.
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As well as changes in active members, the ambience of APUG seems to subtlety change over time.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a legend in my own lunchtime .
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure why any successful photographer would feel the need to be arrogant on a forum made up of mostly hobbyists, but often, those concerned with technique and science don't get on with the artists.
    The person who commented about wanting to 'emulate' a photographer may not understand that this person could have spent his whole life developing his style, technique and art. His rudeness may have been a reaction to somebody trying to find out his secrets. In the same way, those concerned with photography as an exact science may be rude to very talented photographic artists with great eyes, natural ability with a camera, but lacklustre technique. The 'scientists' might be miffed that all their time spent learning the science hasn't paid off so much in terms of compelling photography.

This is without a doubt the best resource for the craft, with lots of very knowledgeable people always willing to share, but the artists tend to get what they need from APUG and carry on with their voyage into expressive photography.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin