Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,463   Online: 1244

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sepia toner with Azo

Does anyone have any experience with toning Azo in a sepia toner? I plan to try it in Kodak Sepia II Warm. According to this publication I should get a warm brown tone with this toner. I haven't done much toning. Is there a better alternative for getting warm browns with Azo?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have never tried sepia toning with Azo either, but I have done a fair amount of it with enlarging paper. My advice is to try a warm-tone developer first. Check out this thread:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6952-pyro-paper-developer.html

Using the PPPD developer in a two bath process with Agfa Neutol WA can give a pleasing warm tone with Azo. And all without the stink of the sepia toner. Attached example to wit.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow Alex, that does look quite a bit warmer than what I'm getting from Amidol & extra KBR. I want something more brown though, that's why I'm considering sepia. What about Thiourea Toner, do you know anything about this? Will it work with Azo? I suppose they are both cheap enough to try out.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Don't know anything about the Thiourea Toner Matt. From the description, it seems similar to sepia but I think the bleech might be somewhat different.

I don't think there should be any trouble with any of these toners on Azo. Even though the emulsion is highly different from the enlarging papers, it still converts to the same silver compounds as anything else. Besides, I would bet plenty of Azo contact prints were sepia toned in the old days.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used Kodak Sepia Toner (the original, not the II) with Azo and have gotten wonderful results. My favorite results so far are with Neutol WA developer, full toning in Selenium, full wash, then about 20 seconds in the bleach and into the sepia toner. Great split tones.

I do have some Sepia Toner II here and intent to try it soon. I'll report on anything I learn when I do.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    I've used Kodak Sepia Toner (the original, not the II) with Azo and have gotten wonderful results. My favorite results so far are with Neutol WA developer, full toning in Selenium, full wash, then about 20 seconds in the bleach and into the sepia toner. Great split tones.
    Would love to see this. Post some to your gallery?
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    Would love to see this. Post some to your gallery?
    Ask and ye shall receive...an example is in my personal gallery. The scan (as always with Azo) doesn't do it justice, but it'll give you the basic idea.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mongo. Looks great!

Kodak Sepia type 1 gives a nice brown tone. In my experience, type 2 gives a much redder tone, that's actually pretty ugly. there's a big difference between the two; you should try both and see which you prefer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you tone in Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner it will go from Dmax very rapidly to brown and then purple brown. The speed at which this happens depends on the fixer (acid vs. alkaline--much faster with alkaline), and developer (the effect seems stronger with Neutol WA than with amidol), and the dilution of the toner, of course (try around 1+15 with acid fixer and 1+20 or 1+30 with alkaline fixer).

In general I like a more neutral tone, but for some images this can be kind of a nice tone, sort of like some prints I've seen on Centennial POP.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin