Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,785   Online: 873

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

uv vacuum or contact frame?

Am wanting to dip my toe into the world of pt / pd printing and wanted to ask a basic question. If it's a daft one, please be gentle....

I'm a member of a local artists print studio where I have full access to lots of great facilities. At the studio I work on the hybrid polymer photogravure process. The studio has a wonderful large vacuum uv box which I use for exposing polymer plates.

Rather than buying a contact frame for my intial dip into pt / pd printing, could I / would I be better using this uv vacuum box at the studio? (Am looking at starting with smaller prints intially then working upwards as I (hopefully!) become more proficient).

Thanks for your help,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gavin,

Since you are testing the waters why not use the equipment available? I don't know what arrangements that studio has but it can be rather time consuming to make pt/pd prints so if your time allowed with the vacuum uv box is restricted that could be a problem. I have never used a vacuum box. I use a printing frame with no problems. Actually when I started pt/pd printing I bought a starter kit from Bostick and Sullivan and used the sun as a light source which in itself had limitations but I'm in sunny south Florida. Once I was sure I wanted to continue with that medium I bought a UV light box and a larger printing frame. I see no difference in the prints exposed with the sun and those with the light box. Using the light box is much more convenient --- print any time of day in any weather in the ac and no mosquitoes.

Enjoy, there is nothing like a pt/pd print.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The vacuum frame should work fine and I assume it has a light source. Sometimes, very seldom actually, vacuum frames can cause an uneveness in Pt/Pd prints due to moisture retained in the paper. That moister gets forced out along the grooves that are typically found in the rubber pad that comes in the vacuum frame. A piece of matte board under the print, black if possible, will usually cure that problem. But, just try one and see what happens. It will more than likely work fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very helpful replies, much appreciated.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin