Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,318   Online: 967

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are old nitrate based negs a concern here?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, look out for nitrate based film. BAD stuff, and a potential fire hazard.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Are old nitrate based negs a concern here?
    Probably not (unless the photographer had used decades-old film bought off ebay .) "Safety film" was introduced in the early 1900s. The movie industry didn't completely switch out until right after WWII, but consumer film for still cameras had been cellulose for a long, long time.
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Probably not (unless the photographer had used decades-old film bought off ebay .) "Safety film" was introduced in the early 1900s. The movie industry didn't completely switch out until right after WWII, but consumer film for still cameras had been cellulose for a long, long time.
    Cellulose acetate, to be clear (ew, bad pun), as nitrate film is also cellulose.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent editing! Thanks.
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    StoneNYC recently got a stash of films dating as late as 1947 with no edge markings.

I advised him to be careful as it might be the Nitrate based. He gave it a "safe" ignition test and it went up in a flash. So I'm looking at some information that says roll films used it even in the 40s.

This comes from a PM, but since it is critical to know for safety, I thought I would bring it up.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    PE found the thread

Yep that's me, these are some images ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verichromerawscan-4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	62746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verichromerawscan-1-2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	62748

I'm planning on getting rid of the film SOON ... though stupidly still have it in my freezer... :/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What to look out for with old negatives

Hey guys, can anyone help me identify this?

I developed 3 rolls of old film together, a roll of technical pan, roll of "recording film" and roll of Panatomic-X all Kodak, the Pan-X was easy because it has "Kodak Safety Film 5060" on it so the number identified it, the other two, one says "Kodak Safety Film" only no numbers, and has some fog like the pan-x but the other one just says "Kodak" and is SUPER CLEAR no base fog at all, so I'm really hoping that's te Tech pan, since recording film was fast 1000ASA and SHOULD have fog, but I got the tech pan off ebay cheap and it didn't look well stored, boxes all beat up, but anyone know which is which? PE??

Panatomic-X

Kodak Safety Film???

Kodak???

Thanks anyone!

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin