Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,675   Online: 987

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shouldn't this go in the announcements or vendor section?

Lodima is a silver chloride contact printing paper. It is not suitable for enlarging because it is very slow. Therefore, it is posted in the Contact Printing Forum where all of the Lodima paper posts have been made for many years and before that, where most all of my posts were made beginning when APUG first began.

SIlver chloride paper has a longer gray scale than any enlarging paper.There is simply more separation in the mid tones, which give prints mad eon silver chloride paper a glow that is virtually unachievable with enlarging paper. Also,the blacks have a higher Dmax--are blacker than the blacks on enlarging paper. All of Edward Weston's silver prints were on silver chloride paper. And Ansel Adams most beautiful prints—those from the late 1930s and early 194os were printed on silver chloride paper.

Alfred Stieglitz once said, "If you show people the imperfect next to the perfect, people will see the difference at once. But if you show the imperfect alone people are only too apt to be satisfied with it."

In this context, silver chloride paper is the perfect paper; enlarging paper is the imperfect.

When I began making contact prints I used enlarging paper. It was not until eight years later that I began to use silver chloride paper—Azo, which was the only silver chloride paper then available. A few years after that, I reprinted all of my prints that had been on enlarging paper onto Azo. The difference was like day and night. I destroyed almost all of the prints that had been printed on enlarging paper--the Azo prints wee so much better—and they were so much easier to make. Of the hundreds of prints I reprinted, there was only one where the print on elarging paper was more beautiful.

If you make contact prints and care about print quality you will want to at least try to print on a good silver chloride paper.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have to disagree.
    I have seen both papers in the same room and both glow equally, not to say lodima is a bad paper I suspect its great but so is Ilford Warmtone

Ilford Warmtone is an excellent paper, probably the best of the enlarging papers, but if the same negative were properly printed on Lodima and the Ilford I believe the difference would be evident to anyone who cares about these things.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smell that? Smells like snake oil. I'm sure it's a great paper but it is no exaggeration to say that for years michael and paula have said printing on AZO is akin to a religious, transcendent experience. Gotta invoke the ancestors, too, Stieglitz, ansel, they'll all pony up and testify. And of course all the tech specs about how great it is, about how it bends light and time space itself to create a portal into a realm of infinite tonalities and deep wells of Dmax that have been known to, it's been said, entrance gallery patrons for hours in rapturous ecstasy.. And of course the sob story. The poor photographers who risk everything to save the magic machines that make a magic paper.

Its great marketing, I'll give you that.

OH. And I've seen prints by M&P themselves. Lived in PA for a bit. Really really great stuff. Absolutely. But, well, see carnies post.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I care and I believe both papers are outstanding and personal preference takes over as to choice.
    Bob Carnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    Ilford Warmtone is an excellent paper, probably the best of the enlarging papers, but if the same negative were properly printed on Lodima and the Ilford I believe the difference would be evident to anyone who cares about these things.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silvergrahm View Post
    Smell that? Smells like snake oil.
    Actually, no. The term "snake oil" suggests a worthless preparation fraudulently peddled. Michael's enthusiasm for his paper seems to be the honest opinion of an artist and connoisseur of fine prints, with which you are free to disagree. There is a huge difference.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lodima is terrific contact speed paper, although the grade 2 Lodima on which I recently printed was faster than the same grade of Azo when developed in amidol. Much faster. In some cases I had to cut exposure time by a factor of 10 when switching from grade 2 Azo to grade 2 Lodima on the same negative. It wasn't as fast as enlarging paper, but was very difficult to control with such short exposure times. The next time I print with it I will use a lower wattage bulb rather than my usual 300 watt R40 combination photoflood/space heater.

I have quite a good supply of Azo, which lasts for all intents and purposes forever. As much as I've been printing lately it will probably last longer than I will. So I can continue to contact print for many years even if nobody produces any more contact speed paper. However, I intend to buy some Lodima because it's just right for some very high contrast negatives which I have been unable to print acceptably on Azo. That is, if the formulation of this next batch is same as what I've already got. I'll just have to take my chances on that.

What I do know is that a lot of printers have made great prints with Lodima paper and it is therefore a good product even if perhaps over zealously promoted. However, IMO to accuse Michael Smith of disingenuousness seems a bit, well, disingenuous.
    Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A great chef can make a fine dish out of ordinary chicken and not just pheasant. And as far as speed goes, I've enlarged directly onto old-school Azo without issues. You just need a fast lens and
    strong halogen light source. I've owned color mural enlargers that would probably do it in seconds.
    That being said, contact prints having a somewhat different tonality to them. Whether or not one
    needs a chloride paper or could do better with one of the superb VC papers avail today is a matter
    of nuance and personal taste. Let's just be grateful for having choices.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    gee silvergrahm, nothing like a little grace and class to enhance your opinion (not)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin