Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,371   Online: 984

Shooter
    Medium Format

Will this work for a UV contact printer?

I just bought this on the big auction site with hopes of using it for contact printing on some old Ilford contact paper that I have. 8x10 is as large as I will be contact printing so this size should be fine. Here is the eBay item number: 140932254303

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    A good one for alt processes, but not for Ilford, or other, regular silver gelatin papers.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Since it appears to be using BL bulbs instead of the BLB bulbs (BLB tubes has a visual light filter), it will put out light in the spectrum required for silver gelatin papers for exposure...thus it should work for your Ilford contact paper. I believe I have read that Azo paper, another contact paper, does benefit from the extra UV. But I am willing to be corrected on this.

It will not work very well with VC paper if one wishes to be able to adjust contrast. But as Jim suggested, it will also be nice for making small platinum, cyanotype and other alt process prints.

Let us know how it works for you!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Jim for the reply. I only ask because I had trouble with this paper as a regular contact/proofing paper. You can read about my troubles below in the thread "ILFORD INDUSTRIAL CONTACT PAPER IC-1-1P anybody know about this stuff?" I got faster times with a cheap black light bulb than anything coming through my D2V enlarger. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Since it appears to be using BL bulbs instead of the BLB bulbs (BLB tubes has a visual light filter), it will put out light in the spectrum required for silver gelatin papers for exposure...thus it should work for your Ilford contact paper. I believe I have read that Azo paper, another contact paper, does benefit from the extra UV. But I am willing to be corrected on this.

It will not work very well with VC paper if one wishes to be able to adjust contrast. But as Jim suggested, it will also be nice for making small platinum, cyanotype and other alt process prints.

Let us know how it works for you!

Vaughn
    Yes, even if it doesn't work with my Ilford paper I might just try some alt process printing. I figured the price was fairly reasonable and worth a try. I'll keep you posted as to my success or failure. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, the machine/printer arrived and while it looks really nice it is unusable at the moment. It seems some undo pressure was put on the glass and the frame that holds the glass in place has let go where it was spot-welded. Now the class sits higher on one corner than the other and will have to be repaired. The test will now be delay so stay tuned. JohnW

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin