Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,320   Online: 776

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 5x7 nowadays, but from time to time I return to admire some of my 4x5 (and a couple of 6x9cm) VanDykes - and always think that I shall get the reducing back for my Sinar so that I don't need to crop 5x7..
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    4x5 pt/pd prints from my 4x5 and Ilford Titan pinhole. They look great showing the coating over-matted with a four inch border framed a thin black aluminom frame or a warm black wooden frame.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Thank you for the kind works, John and AJ. =)

After 5 years shooting 8x10 I've settled into making 4x5 and 2.25x2.25 / 2.25 2.75 inch contact prints exclusively.
    For me they have a delicate, jewel like quality about them which naturally draws the viewer in to examine the work more closely. And being contact prints that's exactly what I want.

I only use a ground glass for viewing my MF work and obviously the 4x5. I like being able to see the image projected on the glass, with both eyes, at the size it will be viewed as a print. What will work at that size becomes easy to determine when you think of it in those terms. And of course let's not forget that no small number of the original "f64 style landscapes" WERE 4x5 contact prints...

As far as presentation, I like to mat my 4x5s on 13x15 inch board to seperate them from the wall and I believe it also lends a sense of formality. I mount my 2.25s (be they square, horizontal or vertical) on 10x12 inch vertical boards and weight the bottom. At my home I use photo-shelves instead of hangers so people can easily pick of the framed (or unframed) prints for a closer look.
    My god. What a post.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was recently looking at some work from my grandfather, 6x6 contact prints from the 1930s. Quite a refreshing change from enlarged prints.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I normally only contact print, since I use alt processes. Often I use 8x10 and I was out photographing with the 11x14 this past week, and 11x14 carbon prints are impressive. But at the same time, I am being drawn back to 4x5 (and smaller) because as Shawn mentioned, the small prints are jewels.

I have enjoyed making platinum prints and carbon prints from MF negatives. And I have started a project using 4x5 for carbon print images of an area I backpack into in the Redwoods. They can go on the wall, but they really shine when hand-held. Hand-made books are something I have been considering -- especially with the small platinum prints.

Below are two carbon prints...two side-by-side Diana Camera negs (so the print is about 2"x 5") and a 4x5 from the new redwoods project. Funny how one needs to shrink them on the screen to get the feel of them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hutchins_Vaughn_Arera_of_Temporary_Refuge.jpg   1McDonald Creek.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    But how do you apply the rule of thirds and all those other compositional rules that camera clubs teach ?-)
    Seriously, though, does seem to require a strong subject to pull the eyes in to them. There was a Kertesz exhibit in the area a couple of years ago of his small contact prints all framed in proportionally large mats. They worked well for close inspection. And this points out that they would work even better in a book of originals, for example, that can be viewed closely. I've personally limited my minimum contact print size to 5X7 (other than proofs), but will have to now review the 4X5s and smaller for such a possibility. Alt process prints in a hand-made book would be rather interesting.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Thank you for the kind works, John and AJ. =)

... As far as presentation, I like to mat my 4x5s on 13x15 inch board to seperate them from the wall and I believe it also lends a sense of formality. I mount my 2.25s (be they square, horizontal or vertical) on 10x12 inch vertical boards and weight the bottom. At my home I use photo-shelves instead of hangers so people can easily pick of the framed (or unframed) prints for a closer look.
    Do you dry mount the print directly on the flat piece of mat board?

I think small prints (whether contact or enlarged) force the viewer to be more engaged with the print. You have to get so close to view it that it blocks out everything else. It's too easy to consider a large print as just background.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To heap some more fuel on the fire.

Ilford Art 300 paper is awesome for this type of thing. It ads analog specialness to a good photo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    My god. What a post.
    I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it made me laugh... =)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Hand-made books are something I have been considering -- especially with the small platinum prints.
    I was thinking along the same lines, Vaughn... could be a lovely thing, a piece of art in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Do you dry mount the print directly on the flat piece of mat board?
    I mount mine directly to mat board, trimmed to the image and over-matted with a small border around the print, slightly bigger along the bottom where I date and sign them. I've attached a cell phone picture of one of my 2.25 x 2.75 prints. I usually slip them into crystal clear bags, a stack of them is a nice thing to sit down with for a spell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finishingprints.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    To heap some more fuel on the fire.

Ilford Art 300 paper is awesome for this type of thing. It ads analog specialness to a good photo.
    As I already use Ilford Warmtone Glossy FB I'm especially intrigued by this paper. I haven't had the good fortune to see any in person yet...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin