Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,644   Online: 758

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I bet Atget never dodged or burned a contact print.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like to make contact prints from paper negatives in 116 and 122 size. Lately I've been using the 122 size more ( 3.25 x 5.5 inches ) but about a month ago I was looking through a "card deck" of the 116 size contact prints and I had forgotten how much I like them. Seeing this post here on APUG got me moving and I pulled them out again. I found one negative that I never contacted and another that might look good with some "faux pop" experiments... so thanks.. this got me going at that size again! I might even make one today!

Dodging and burning on small contact prints is no different that dodging and burning on 8x10s. The on;y difference is that smaller tools are used whencontact printing the smaller negatives.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Not sure about Atget, but that hack printer E. Weston surely did

Look at around the 21 minute mark here. http://vimeo.com/58206083

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    hi clive

you are probably right ... neither did fox talbot
    and i agree with you to a certain extant ... some contact prints are meant to be un-manipulated, and some are not ...

its kind of like making paper negatives.
    some people refuse to scan them and only contact print them
    because they are almost a holy-images or something sacred ..

i scan paper negatives too.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    Shawn makes beautiful photographs. He took mine and Paula's Vision and Technique Workshop in 2010, where he would have seen many of Paula's small contact prints--all mounted and overmatted on 13x15 mount board.
    Michael A. Smith
    Michael,
    thank you. I truly appreciate that. Paula and you have both had a significant influence on my work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    Dodging and burning on small contact prints is no different that dodging and burning on 8x10s. The on;y difference is that smaller tools are used whencontact printing the smaller negatives.

Michael A. Smith
    That's exactly right. I've attached a couple examples of "print instruction sheets" for two of my 6x7cm contact prints and oftentimes they are much more involved than these. I've found that taping or otherwise hanging a straight print in front of you while you work, as a sort of "map", can also help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bamboo500hc.jpg   bambooreverie_printsheet.jpg   riverfoamyough_500hc.jpg   youghriverfoam_printsheet.jpg  
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 06-03-2013 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jan Pierzak (wherever he's been recently) does some fantastic 6x6cm contact prints on Pt/pd. Love them! He has about 4" mat around them.

As for dodge and burn, get a piece of transparency and a marker. Works great.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi vaughn and shawn
    have fun cause like anything ... once you make one or two, it will be hard to stop ( i've made around 25 i think, i lost count )
    - john
    john,
    Thank you for that. I have been considering making something like this for some time now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. I think so. I found some vernacular photographs in Seattle at Watson Kennedy. They look like a photo hobbyist that printed without an enlarger. They have a magical quality to them. I still have to mount, frame and display the photos.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin