Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,988   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My son just made his first print

Well, it was more collaborative, really. He's just turned five, so his part of the job was to help with important tasks like holding things, counting timer revolutions, and remembering not to turn the lights on. But he got his first chance to help under the safelight and watch the print come up in the soup, and we all know that's the really magical part.

This quick scan of the print isn't perfect---the real thing is a little darker (really a bit too dark) in the lower right and a little higher in contrast---but I think it sort of conveys the idea. It's certainly not the most exciting photo in the world, but as a parent and a photographer, it was a pretty exciting moment!

-NT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jst garden print 20130527 scaled.jpg  
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats! I can't wait to show printing to my little one (he's only 3). How did he react when the print came up in the developer? That is the really cool part that got most of us hooked, I'd guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He was actually kind of blase as it happened, but he says he had fun and wants to do it again; only "Next time *I* want to do the part where you put it in the chemicals, OK?" So I think we've got him.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Outstanding to hear! I had my 6 year old twins in the DR learning the ropes for about an hour this weekend. Such fun times!!!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, well done. It is fun when your children are old enough to help and even do their own thing in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did he take the photo himself, too?

You say, "It's not the world's greatest photograph," but remember that there is something special about kids as photographers because they don't have any preconceptions about what a photograph "should" be.

Looking at kids' photography can be really great if you just forget your own preconceptions and look at it through their eyes.

Don't worry. They'll learn their own preconceptions soon enough but, for now, just enjoy.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well done, and I think you have have him and keep at it.

I too remember being in kindergarten when my father showed me how B&W photos were made. The image appearing in the developer was like magic.

I have had my son in with me on and off since he was 3. When really young James job was to lift the lid on the flat bed processor for me to drop in the exposed sheets. Then at 4 he came an helped with the Jobo - though his help was not appreciated while processing 7 rolls of E6, he decided it would be better if the colour dev and Blix were added together after the first dev wash. Kissed those films good by. He is happy to shake the prints in the bath as they develop, and show his 4 year old sister how it is to be done

Now James (seven next month) with his own P&S 35mm camera wants to process and print his pictures as soon the film is done. Something we have not managed in the same day yet.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you should frame it nicely and hang it in your family room. Who cares it's not technically perfect.... it will be a very valuable personal artifact in decades to come. Your son will be showing his grand children what he did with his dad in something called a "darkroom"... and kids will go wowwww......
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Did he take the photo himself, too?
    No, but he did grow the corn! All technical issues in this case are my own. I think I overdid the tilt; some of the pepper-tree leaves and part of the garden bed are in focus, but I missed the corn heads in between.

I'll probably set him up with a 35mm camera on holiday this summer. For the large-format stuff I've got plate cameras that are compact enough for him to help with in a reasonable way; but this is from an 8x10 with a 21" lens, and you have to rack that thing WAY out to focus on anything closer than, like, Neptune. I couldn't reach the front standard from under the darkcloth, and I'm 6'2" with long arms.

I was a little older than he is now when my dad had a darkroom in the basement, and I remember having a great time in there, being curious about the different chemicals and thinking the safelight and the glow-in-the-dark timers were really fascinating. I think I need to switch back to an acid fixer now, because the smell of rapid fixer is one of my favorite memories of that time, and I don't think anyone is going to form heartwarming happy memories around the ammoniac scent of TF-4!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    ... but remember that there is something special about kids as photographers because they don't have any preconceptions about what a photograph "should" be.
    This is so true. It made me wish I had a switch to turn my own off!
    Some photos: http://www.ipernity.com/home/295785 ( mostly analog )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin