Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,035   Online: 893

Shooter
    Multi Format

Contact printing with transparent screen

Hi all,

I have just been thinking, most backlit LCD screens block out the backlight when required, there are also some transparent screens coming onto the market at the moment (although expensive).

I was thinking what if you put a UV source infront of the screen, put the print behind the screen and then simply put whatever image you are wanting to copy on the screen, would something like this work? I am thinking with cyanotypes as its only UV sensitive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too much gap between the paper and the image surface of the liquid crystal screen.

An LCD has a layer of reactive chemicals sandwiched between two sheets of glass. In contact printing, the image needs to be touching on the surface of the photo paper.

Even if that gap is only 1 mm, that's enough to make the image blurry.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Too much gap between the paper and the image surface of the liquid crystal screen.

An LCD has a layer of reactive chemicals sandwiched between two sheets of glass. In contact printing, the image needs to be touching on the surface of the photo paper.

Even if that gap is only 1 mm, that's enough to make the image blurry.
    Hmm thats true, I thought I would see if it made sense lol what about enlargers though?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try it if you want. Who knows? You discover something interesting if you experiment.

Since an enlarger is little more than a rudimentary projector, it might be possible to put an LCD panel in the slot. You might be able to make computer generated dodge/burn masks that way.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Try it if you want. Who knows? You discover something interesting if you experiment.

Since an enlarger is little more than a rudimentary projector, it might be possible to put an LCD panel in the slot. You might be able to make computer generated dodge/burn masks that way.
    Thats what i'm thinking, I just thought it might be interesting to have a dynamic image as the negative rather than a physical copy being put in an enlarger, although perhaps I slightly drop in resolution due to the number of pixels on the screen, might be a quicker way.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What about plasma screens ?

If LCD is necessary , may be you can think to add fresnel lens or big waterjet cut thin cylinderical lens could be solution. Or an hologram focus distant pixel on to the film. Or an film lens system.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin