Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,694   Online: 761

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

scanning a print file for contact sheet

Not sure where to post this. I tried making a digital contact sheet last night, by putting an old light box on top of my document scanner. I was pleasantly surprised with both the overall quality and speed I could do this.

There were a couple problems which I would like to work out.

There appears to be some sort of moire pattern? I dont know much about this. I reduced the contrast enough to pronounce the problem.

It almost looks like what happens when you take a photo of a computer screen....the banding. Is that from the monitor/light flicker? The pattern differs when I zoom/resize. Whatever it is, I think it is from the light source?

The light source is also not very well diffused, being much brighter in the center. So the edges of the contact sheet are lighter.

I could blur and size these down....but I would like to be able to see them at the size I have scanned....800dpi and tell if anything is out of focus.

Does anyone do this on the regular, and have any tips? Different light box, or light panel maybe? I know I could get a V750 or similar, overkill for contact sheets though. I might consider it so I could scan my 8x10 negatives though. But then again if I could work out these problems, I could use the solution to scan my 8x10 negatives this way too.

contact by steve_barry, on Flickr

contact-crop by steve_barry, on Flickr

contact-crop2 by steve_barry, on Flickr
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think this thread will be shut down by moderators pretty soon.

What you're seeing is probably a property of the plastic in the sleeves.
    Maybe better to make regular contact sheets instead?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should have posted to the lounge? Maybe someone can move it?

The plastic. Hum. I will try one w/out the plastic.

I wonder how lightroom 4's moire filter would work on it. I only have version 3.

The reason for scanning : how I am working now, I develop one roll of film a night (instead of six or seven once a week like I used to). I like to look at the contact sheet right away, and sit with it for a while before I print. So this is way more efficient than printing one wet contact sheet every night.
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebarry View Post

I wonder how lightroom 4's moire filter would work on it. I only have version 3.

The reason for scanning : how I am working now, I develop one roll of film a night (instead of six or seven once a week like I used to). I like to look at the contact sheet right away, and sit with it for a while before I print. So this is way more efficient than printing one wet contact sheet every night.
    Sorry Steve - it is a pure scanning question, so it isn't supposed to be found on APUG. Try the sister site - DPUG.ORG.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebarry View Post

I understand making darkroom contact sheets can be impractical sometimes. Immediacy is not usually associated with film shooting these days. If you made one contact sheet per day, perhaps you should look into using chemical trays that you can seal up? Like something you would find in a cooking supply store, or similar. That way you can have very easy clean-up by just covering the trays back up, and then use RC paper for very quick washing. Just a thought. If you have a good process laid out for it I doubt it would take more than 15 minutes to do.

The Lounge is also not for digital... Sorry. As far as I can recall, the only digital discussion allowed is something surrounding scanning or photographing prints or negatives to show in the gallery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas is correct. If you re-post in DPUG you will probably get better answers and quicker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK I see digital camera talk in the lounge all the time. And lots of people discuss scanning film on all the apug boards. The dpug boards seem dead.

I get it, but it seems a little silly. I never understood the distinction. I am shooting film with the goal being a 100% wet print.

I digitize things (like everyone HAS to) to share on the internet and make storage/organizing easier.
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's true, Steve. You're not the first one to have had those thoughts, and likely not the last.

But try to view it from the aspect of trying to keep this forum 100% focused on analog processes. It's most likely the only place around where 'technically' no digital talk is allowed. And that's kind of nice.

You could also make liaisons here on APUG, and use the Personal Message system to connect with them when you have questions that are not necessarily well suited for the forum. I've done this a lot when I have gotten too much conflicting information to questions, and that is a nice alternative, for sure.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to put my film on the light box and shoot it with a digital camera. I have a copy stand so that made it a bit easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas, I get it, but seems like the giant elephant in the room.

art - I tried that but didnt get near the clarity of the scans.

From registering at DPUG and poking around, I think the problem is trying to scan film as a reflective document. I tried "film" setting, but it wont go full plate, only as big as the light on the hood of scanner. VueScan looks like it might allow it.
    steve barry
    my stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin