Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,268   Online: 808

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Images

Lazy AZO question

I am full of questions tonight.

With the expense of amidol I am not all that thrilled with using it on test prints. What other developers are people using? I have read Agfa Neutal mentioned before, is this true?

For those using other developers are the development times the same as with amidol or will I need to increase the time?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use Ansco 130 for "testing" and Amidol for the final prints.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Images
    It is the Neutol WA that people use with AZO. In my opinion, it makes decent prints, bu nowhere near the tone of amidol. I used to spend an evening just doing test prints in one liter of amidol, and then follow up with a night of final prints in a second liter.
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Neutol WA and i am very happy with the results. I really cant be bothered with Amidol and all that stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mostly using Neutol WA with good results for azo because of its simplicity and cost. That being said, for a fine print, amidol is still the winner. I usually don't print enough at one session to require unlimited developer life in one printing session. You can use whatever you have and still get good prints. Dektol works fine, but cut it back to 1:3, not the usual 1:2 dilution.

The amidol question has come up because Michael and Paula have basically brought azo back from the edge of death, when it had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. They have perfected the use of azo and their process over many years and have found amidol to be the best developer for azo they have tried. Since many people have learned of the paper through their outstanding work and efforts, it is normal to use their techniques as well. Naturally, to emmulate someone's work, you would try to use the materials best suited to the process.
    There is a similar topic with respect to pyro developers. Are they "better" than conventional developers? There are many schools of thought bandied about, but the bottom line is that taking good images has been done for the last 150 years or so with many materials. It seems to me that what you have on hand that works well for you is the right thing. Is there a "magic bullet" out there? I remember a thread by that name a while back. Fortunately, the jury is still out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I use Neutol WA and i am very happy with the results. I really cant be bothered with Amidol and all that stuff."

If the Amidol results are definately better, greater tonal range & depth, this statement does say a lot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    "I use Neutol WA and i am very happy with the results. I really cant be bothered with Amidol and all that stuff."

If the Amidol results are definately better, greater tonal range & depth, this statement does say a lot.
    Indeed it does.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used Neutol WA and was satisfied until I started using amidol. Neutol WA is still a good developer for a lot of things, but it's so different from amidol, that it's not worth using it for test prints, in my opinion.

To get the most out of my amidol, I usually print my Azo prints at the beginning of the session in Michael Smith's formula, then add some KBr and Benzotriazole to the tray to convert it to Smith's formula for enlarging papers, and finish the session with enlargements.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use a two-bath technique starting out with Neutol WA, followed by a water bath, followed by Don Miller's PPPD developer using all catechol vice a ratio of catechol and pyrogallic acid. Francesco Abad uses nearly the same technique with the Moersch catechol solution.

Both of us claim results so near to amidol that its indistinguishable. However, the real reason I went this way is due to the cost of amidol. I decided that until the war chest increases in size, that the available funds were better allocated to procure more Azo and mat board by reducing the allocation on developer chemicals.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can get a rough, quick and dirty idea of whether or not your highlights are blown and some general idea of the contrast of a negative with Neutol WA. However, I have found that there is no substitute for Amidol if I'm really trying to produce a fine print.

Greg Davis' bulk purchase of Chinese Amidol has slashed the cost by 75%. Let's all take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. With 5.5 lbs. of amidol in my larder, I'll use it to proof as well. At my rate of usage this purchase should last me at least a decade.

I develop Azo in Neutol WA for exactly the same as I do in Amidol - 1 minute for Grade 3 and 2 minutes for Grade 2.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin