Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,476   Online: 924

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bulbs for Uv exposure box

Hi all, i want to build my own Uv exposure 8x10 box for cyanotype, gum and others processes ,
    I was wondering which bulb should i get, on ebay I found some PHILIPS TL/8W
    Does they works fine and how many do I need to make 8x10 print? 4 bulbs or 8 ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you Rick A, i read it, to build one box looks quite simple but my problem is to find a good bulb, i saw he use sylvania 18W 60cm long, maybe too much for my 8x10 box

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some t8 sized black light bulbs (blb) in mine. Put in as many as you can fit with something reflective behind it. 4 or 8 should be fine. More light = quicker printing. I built a box to take a 14x17 frame and it has 11 lights. I'm not familiar with the exact bulb proposed by the OP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i will try with 6 =)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is the product family you should be looking for: Philips TL-K/10-R (10 means actinic peaking at 365nm, -R means internal reflector for better yield)

Regards,
    Loris.

P.S. 8 bulbs placed 1" apart each other (and hang about 4" above contact print frame's glass) will perfectly and evenly cover 16x20" print area - with safety space around. Looks big but you may opt to print larger later and since investment cost wouldn't be significantly higher, don't think small...
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 11-14-2013 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added P.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you for all the info, i'm looking for bulbs now on the market, Philips Sylvania etc, and i'm quite confused cause I think to do in future just 8x10 or small prints,
    i would like to make this box out of wood to fit it in a small suitcase so that I can carry it out with me. Do you think a 30cm (11,8'') bulb is enough for 8x10 ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smaller 30cm lamps will give you only about 30% - 25% of the energy you can get with larger lamps (read as: ~30-45 minutes or even longer cyanotype exposures...) and their useful lifespan are shorter by 50%. For 8x10" you'll need 10 of these lamps, spaced 10mm apart from each other, hang about 3-4" above printing frame's glass.

Regards,
    Loris.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin