Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,561   Online: 1107

Shooter
    35mm RF

Anyone using NuArk Mega Light for platinum prints?

I'm looking for a vacuum frame/exposure unit that can accommodate 30x40". The NuArc Mega Light is big enough but does it work for platinum? Please forgive my ignorance.

Respectfully yours
    Robert Savard

Shooter
    Large Format
    I asked a similar question about the X-Vactor (but probably in the wrong place) - a similar style device from the screen printing industry. Actually, the NuArc looks a better bet - the specs say it produces light in the 350nm range and it appears to have a couple more bulbs than the X-Vactor - i.e. closer spacing - which reduces the chances of banding in the print.

I think the only thing not to like about these is that the negative has to go under the paper - rather than, say, in a NuArc 26-1k or Amergraph ULF-28, where the negative is placed on top of the paper. Only a minor niggle though, unless you plan to do some dodging and burning, in which case don't buy one of these.

In terms of price, short of building one yourself, these look the best bang-for-your-buck out there at the minute for a large UV exposure units. I Googled 'Mega Light' and saw a used one had gone for under $500, so there are deals to be had if you can find one.

An alternative is just to use a separate large vacuum frame (perhaps one used for dry-mounting, and kill two birds with one stone) and array of UV bulbs - David Chow (DC Editions) has a nice looking unit made this way - his blog mentions that he got the mount for the bank of UV bulbs custom made. Probably a bit pricey, but gives him real flexibility from what I can see.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin