Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,573,000   Online: 837

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Which paper and chemicals?

I just got an old Albert contact print maker that I would like to use to make contact prints of my 6x7 and 6x9 negatives. Which paper/chemicals should I be look at getting?

I was thinking of using ilford ilfobrom gallery grade 2 or 3 paper as the prints will be matted and framed for sale.

P.S. I don't have an enlarger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    any vc paper with any paper developer
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    any vc paper with any paper developer
    Wouldn't he need contact printing paper? Like AZO, Lodima?

Not being a wise guy; I've really never contact printed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, no need for "special" paper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    No, no need for "special" paper
    This is true - with a small qualification.

The old contact paper was quite slow, and some contact printers had correspondingly intense light sources.

So you might discover that the exposure times needed for enlarging paper are inconveniently short.

The solution? Replace the bulb with something of lower intensity, or add something else that will lower the light intensity.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All good points. Ok I think I'm try the ilfobrom gallery paper.

Which chemicals should I look into using with this paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    All good points. Ok I think I'm try the ilfobrom gallery paper.

Which chemicals should I look into using with this paper?
    If you aren't going to be printing alot(and even if you do)I recommend Ethol LPD paper developer for its keeping properties. You can alter the dilution for different looks. Undiluted for cool tones and more dilute for warmer tones without sacrificing development times. You can use any stop bath and fixer, though I recommend a fast fixer such as Ecopro neutral of Formulary TF-4 for faster wash times.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick thanks for the info! I will try LPD with the Ilford paper and see how it turns out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Foma still make a "contact-speed" paper, called Fomalux. That might be worth a look. It is a fibre paper with a slow chloride emulsion. I have two packets for a few months and am ashamed that I haven't tried it yet! The idea was to use 8x10" film pinhole negs (Foma 100) on it, but I still haven't figured out how I'm going to hold the DDS on the back of the home-made camera . . .
    Last edited by MartinP; 01-21-2014 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok so I am getting supplies to start doing contact prints. Getting 5x7 trays, a couple measuring cups, a thermometer, and want to get jugs for the chemicals in but not sure which size I should get for doing 2x3 prints.
    I am already planing on a one gallon jug for the LPD developer as I will be using it 1:1.

What at size jugs should I get for the other chemicals?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin