Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,590   Posts: 1,545,941   Online: 1208

Shooter
    35mm

A4 Acrylic sheet for making a proof print sheet?

Hello,

I have yet to use my enlarger, I have almost everything I need now including 2 Nova print process tanks etc.

I store my negatives in the more expensive Kenro A4 acetate sheets which you can print through without taking the negatives out (pain!)

Obviously the slotted contact printer devices are of no use, so I was thinking of simply buying an A4 acrylic sheet to set on top of the negative sheet.

I was thinking of 10mm think so there is plenty of weight to flatten the negative sheet out.

Good idea or not?

nocturnal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    glass would be a better idea especially since it won't scratch easily.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Acrylic will scratch easily. Get either a glass with smoothed/rounded edges at a local glass shop or tape the edges of a pane of glass from a picture frame.

Shooter
    35mm
    I started using a piece of plate-glass, then managed to have the box containing it dropped during a house-move. Since then I have a piece of 5mm polycarbonate. For normal contacts (ie. as a reference, not as the final result) they both work adequately, apart from the plastic being lighter in weight and needing some help with a couple of fingers to keep the film in good contact with the paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll call into the local glass shop to see if they have something suitable lying around. I thought of using picture frame glass but it is very thin and light. They make a lot of furniture using thick safety glass with bevelled edges and they are always very helpful.

Many thanks!

Images
    Good Afternoon, Nocturnal,

Yes, use glass. The 1/4 inch thick kind, sized somewhat bigger than a contact sheet (mine is about 11 x 14) will have plenty of weight to hold negatives flat. Be sure to have the edges smoothed.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used acrylic sheet for a bunch of contacts the other day

(click through for bigger) the scratches on the acrylic are pretty visible :-D

This was done subsequently, using a thin glass sheet. Not quite as heavy as the acrylic but minus the scratches...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin