Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,412   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Reg :- What paper do you prefer for 8x10 contact printing

Hi,

I have been doing silver gelatin printing in darkroom for sometime now using Ilford Multigrade papers. However, recently I am quite interested in making contact prints from 8x10 negatives.
    I do have access to enlargers and hence feel comfortable using contrast filters and Ilford's papers.
    But since i am so very knew to darkroom stuffs, wanna know what paper do you guys prefer for contact printing ?

Regards,
    Abhishek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the same paper for everything. If you don't want to relearn a new paper, stick with what you know. If you have $$$ and wanna try Lodima, go to michaelandpaula.com
    Last edited by wildbill; 05-04-2014 at 09:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford Art300 is a great contact paper for some 8x10 soft focus subjects. Fomatone 131 is pretty nice too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use the same paper I would use for an enlargement. You are in for a real treat. 8x10 contacts are just delicious.

I am going to try some Lodima soon which will mean doing a bit of calibration.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi, thanks all of you for the suggestions.

So, if I do continue to use my Ilford RC and FB papers for contact printing, is it possible to do dodging and burning the way you would do in an enlargement. I believe the base exposure will be pretty small and hence dodging and burning might become difficult.

What are your thoughts and do you guys do dodging and burning manipulation during contact printing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes, I do dodging and burning. It's not as easy but doable. If you're exposures are too short, use a smaller bulb, move the light source further away, or just stop the lens down if you're using your enlarger (no reason why you shouldn't).
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    The most easily available contact-paper over in Europe is Fomalux. I have no idea if that is also sold in North America.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    The most easily available contact-paper over in Europe is Fomalux. I have no idea if that is also sold in North America.
    I hope to be making contact prints soon and this looks like good paper for the job. How does it perform if developed with Amidol?

RR

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Azo!!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use Azo and Lodima....
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin