Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,761   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked my wife if she would kill me, and she made a spluttering laughing noise. Not sure if that meant yes or no.

In any case, the only photo chemistry I use I'm there is Caffenol. Too much potential for Bad Things.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    my wife would not mind at all.

My husband, on the other hand, might take issue.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Valerie, I was just about to mention my husband, when your reply popped up.
    He's the chief dish washer, so he's in charge. He might also be wondering why I'm not using the perfectly usable darkroom he built me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife wouldn't kill me. But if I generated a lot of respiratory irritants in the house it might be the other way around. Asthma can be fatal.

But ultimately, what I would or would not do is not really relevant - people do lots of things I would not 8-)
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    In the grand scheme of things the common Pt/Pd chemicals are not particularly bad, except for the contrast control agents.

The common contrast control agents (potassium chlorate, dichromates) are highly toxic and carcinogenic. I'm not sure about the toxicity of 'Na2'.

Platinum is toxic but not life-threatening. It can cause respiratory problems (as noted earlier in the thread). If you Google 'Potassium Chloroplatinite' you'll find a reference to someone who tried to commit suicide by drinking some. They failed.

The commonly used clearing agents are not particularly toxic in the quantities we use.

Having said all that, it is far, far better to keep photographic chemicals out of the kitchen.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    oxcalates don't like humans very much. not sure how much is in
    the oxalic developer used to developer pt/pd prints
    but its not a fun way to die ...
    Oxalates are common in nature. We regularly have it in our kitchens as it is an ingredient in Spinache and Rhubarb, but also in Cocoa. We also use it at home as ingredient in special washing agents.

I assume the greatest threat in the kitchen to be Salmonella.

Though I would advice a darkoom novice to keep out of the kitchen for principle reasons.
    Last edited by AgX; 05-17-2014 at 04:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On the other hand it makes not much sense to ban all photographic activity from the kitchen, but then to put photo chemicals in beverage bottles and place them somewhere in the house.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    She hasn't yet.

I do all my B&W developing in the kitchen. I also use the microwave for bringing chemicals that have been refrigerated up to room temp. I use my own containers, jugs, spoons, washing up cloths etc (which are stored in the darkroom between use), clean everything up thoroughly before and afterwards, and don't work while the kitchen is being used for cooking. I also never leave chemicals out while I am not present - everything gets cleaned up properly and all the chemicals put away before I leave the room.

Nice video BTW.
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 05-17-2014 at 06:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Oxalates are common in nature. We regularly have it in our kitchens as it is an ingredient in Spinache and Rhubarb, but also in Cocoa. We also use it at home as ingredient in special washing agents.

I assume the greatest threat in the kitchen to be Salmonella.

Though I would advice a darkoom novice to keep out of the kitchen for principle reasons.
    yup,
    but if you eat rhubarb leaves which are high in oxalates
    (from what i understand and it might be wrong )
    it leeches the calcium from your bones and leaves
    you a quivering mess on the floor ...
    maybe that's how they get bone-less chickens at the ranch ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    No
    But then again I am divorced.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin