Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,595   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would your wife kill you if you used photo chems in the kitchen?

This is a video of I think a French guy printing palladium prints in his kitchen. Is it safe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31xpxfnmbA
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    some people do it...

they process all sorts of stuff color + b/w
    and don't give it a second though .. unfortunately
    but i wouldn't do that to my worst enemy.

oxcalates don't like humans very much. not sure how much is in
    the oxalic developer used to developer pt/pd prints
    but its not a fun way to die ...

( there are a few "how to process color print/ slide" videos on you tube
    with the guy doing it in his kitchen sink ... the comments were not kind. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do it all the time, the kitchen is the only bench with a sink with enough space for beakers and things (bathrooms and laundry are just big tubs with no bench).
    Nothing worse than ilford/kodak/rodinal chems, no alt processes ... yet.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do all my b+w developing at the kitchen sink. 35mm through 8x10. Nothing goes down the drain.

About half of my color is done by a pro lab but what color work I do at home is done with a CPE2+ in the darkroom. Chemicals transported in a 5 gallon bucket to a chemical disposal area.

My paper developing, which is currently all b+w, is done in BTZS tubes in the bathroom tub because the tubes are too long to use my kitchen sink.

I do not prepare food or drink until the area has been completely cleaned each time.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would your wife kill you if you used photo chems in the kitchen?
    No
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not married!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm more concerned about raw chicken in the sink.
    Turning negative into positive since 1975

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The wife? No, because it would never come to that. I'm paranoid enough about it on my own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdilgard View Post
    I'm more concerned about raw chicken in the sink.
    +1

Or the non-photographic chemicals under the sink.

The (relatively benign) chemicals I use in my photography are chemicals that I am familiar with, know how to handle, know how to clean up and treat with respect - so I do.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The only thing I would not do (and looks like he does not) is blow dry the coated paper. That kicks up platinum salts into the air and that can be very nasty to the lungs. So it would not be nice to have platinum salts flying around the kitchen.

The toxic and potentially toxic effects of platinum in workers are believed to be related to certain water-soluble platinum salts (e.g., potassium hexachloroplatinate, potassium tetrachloroplatinate, sodium chloroplatinate and ammonium chloroplatinate). Inhalation exposure to these platinum salts is known to give rise to manifestations of respiratory allergy. The first report of such reactions to platinum compounds appeared in 1911 among photographic workers who suffered respiratory and skin disorders. Similar clinical manifestations—rhinitis, conjunctivitis, asthma, urticaria and contact dermatitis—have since been reported mainly in platinum refinery workers and chemists.

From: http://www.ilo.org/oshenc/part-ix/me...m/183-platinum

Bold are mine.

I have developed permanent asthma from 5 years of platinum printing, but since then have switched to air-drying and have had no major reactions to it (and get better prints).
    Last edited by Vaughn; 05-16-2014 at 10:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin