Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,527   Posts: 1,543,943   Online: 1100

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 sheet film

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My favorite film that is available in both 8x10 and 5x7 is Tri-x. I have used it for many years. After using HC-110, I now develop it in Pyrocat-HD and print it on Azo. It is wonderful stuff, giving a great feeling of depth and space.

Alan Davenport

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting about the Bergger . . . there's a quote from Gordon Hutchings that he thought it was great for his PMK. And Alan, I would be perfectly fine with Tri-x, but I just don't trust Kodak. However, another post suggested I just work with the film I really prefer and hope it stays around, and that might be the best approach. I know the Tri-x emulsion well from 15 years of using it on 4x5. I think they came out with some "new and improved" emulsion recently . . . don't know why they have to mess with one of the most widely used films in history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by James M. Bleifus
    I haven't heard about Efke being in trouble. Has anyone one else?

The last story I heard was that Freestyle was replacing Forte in the EDU brand with Efke. I thought EFKE was in relatively good shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for Efke films in 5x7. It seems they continue to capture market share, which others are allowing to decline. It really is great stuff and if the 100 isn't fine enough for enlarging at some point, the 25 certainly is.

I think Efke is poised to become a major player in the world market as others fall by the wayside. They have a great product which has held up well for the last 50 years and it continues to acquire a following. Hats off to John at J&C and the folks in eastern europe who have kept this wondeful film alive and well.

Hopefully, Ilford has been able to shift things around enough to tighten up profits and get a second wind for the next century. Their FP4 has excellent characteristics for contact printing and has pretty good latitude for expansion and contraction, but Efke 100 is still the winner in this respect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    there's photowarehouse(.biz) too. they will cut and notch fp4 ( rebranded) to any size & its cheep.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After a lot of experimenting with 8x10 films for contact printing with Azo, I am now using only Efke 100. The stuff is so good that I don't bother with any other film in 8x10. In Pyrocat it is simply amazing. It builds density better than any other film I've used, it's forgiving, it takes the stain well...I can't praise it enough.

All of my 8x10 work is either landscape or macro, so 100 speed film is just fine for me. I've not seen any reason to search for a faster film in 8x10. I did experiment with HP5+; it's a very nice film, but I could never get the density range out of it that I want for my contact prints. I still use it in 4x5 for enlargements, but for contact printing on Azo I'm convinced that Efke 100 is the best film for me.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Considering the possibility of contact printing on Azo I would definitely not use HP5...the only time would be in situations of high SBR or in Zone Speak N minus development. HP5 will not develop the high negative density range required in printing on Azo especially in low SBR situations....it definitely is not the best choice when negatives with high density ranges are mandated by the printing paper or alternative process. ..
    Donald,

I have made some very nice van dyke brownprints as well as POP prints using HP5+ in situations where I've probably given N+2 development or thereabouts to the film (and using HC110 at that, but have not actually measured the SBR or density values). Intuitively I suspect both these processes would require a higher negative density range than AZO (but maybe not as it has been many years since I've used that paper), and certainly more than Pt/Pd. So my experience seems different than yours regarding HP5+.

I'm not doubting that FP4+ might be a better choice for all these processes but since I have no experience using it in large format, I'm wondering if you could point me to some online comparisons of achieved density ranges between the two films given similar processing and exposure conditions? Thanks in advance for any info or pointers you can provide.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    Donald,

I have made some very nice van dyke brownprints as well as POP prints using HP5+ in situations where I've probably given N+2 development or thereabouts to the film (and using HC110 at that, but have not actually measured the SBR or density values). Intuitively I suspect both these processes would require a higher negative density range than AZO (but maybe not as it has been many years since I've used that paper), and certainly more than Pt/Pd. So my experience seems different than yours regarding HP5+.

I'm not doubting that FP4+ might be a better choice for all these processes but since I have no experience using it in large format, I'm wondering if you could point me to some online comparisons of achieved density ranges between the two films given similar processing and exposure conditions? Thanks in advance for any info or pointers you can provide.

Joe
    You might find the information that Sandy King posted on pyro developers on Unblinkingeye.com to be informative to your question. In that information, he gives some excellent film comparisons in differing CI applications. Additionally Clay Harmon has publically stated that he at one time used HP5 in high SBR situations and FP4 in low SBR situations. Sandy King's documentation in the information on Unblinkingeye seems to bear out what my experience with HP5 when used in high DR applications.

The only film of a higher EI (400) that seems to have the ability to build higher DR with low SBR situations seems to be Tmax 400.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhphoto
    Interesting about the Bergger . . . there's a quote from Gordon Hutchings that he thought it was great for his PMK.
    Bergger is great film, absolutely gorgeous. The problem is that it has very limited expansion. So if you need to do plus development Bergger isn't the best choice.
    OTOH, if you plan on carrying more than one type of film with (something I don't do because I like the KISS approach) then I'm sure you'll be pleased with Bergger 200.

Cheers,

James
    Last edited by James Bleifus; 03-12-2005 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added comma

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most of what I shoot is on 5x7" FP4+, with occasional MACO UP100+ in 18x24cm and APX100 in 9x12cm...

Fp4+ is my main film, at leat when I've used up my remaining APX100.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin