Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,192   Posts: 1,659,066   Online: 897

Shooter
    Medium Format

Placing multigrade filter directly on top of the negative, will it work?

If I want to use a multigrade filter for contact printing 6x6 negatives, would it work if I simply placed the filter directly on top of the negative instead of holding in front of my light source? The latter works but is a bit awkward. The filters I have are about 9x9 so would easily cover the frame.

I've been browsing the forum and the world wide web for some time this evening but couldn't find a real answer. Help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For that to work, the filter would have to be pristine clean, no marks, smudges, finger prints, or imperfections of any kind that would print through the negative.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Rick, that answers my question straight away. Won't work for me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my enlarger doesn't have a tray for filters, so I just set it on top of the condenser inside the lamp housing. Works equally well for enlargements and contact prints.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would suggest that holding it in front of the light source is your best option.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What is your light source? I ask because you may be able to make a simple filter holder.

Here's a couple of photos of a filter holder I made for contact printing.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    What is your light source? I ask because you may be able to make a simple filter holder.

Here's a couple of photos of a filter holder I made for contact printing.

Roger
    Roger, my light source is actually an old Meopta Opemus 4 enlarger. It even has filter drawer but it's too small and I don't want to cut up my expensive multigrade filters to make them fit.

What you made seems pretty awesome though. It's lamp housing with card board?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes it is a small clip on type lamp housing and the filter holder is card board and masking tape.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I would hold it under the lens. If you place a filter on the negative, the focus could shift.
    The focus will shift the same amount no matter where you put the filter between the lens and a negative. But it's a moot point in this case since he's talking about making a contact print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Juergen,

It works fine. I just did it two weeks ago, when I was making (late) "Seasons Greetings" photo-greeting-cards by contact on a contact printer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin