Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,096   Online: 937

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    Look for PPG Starphire glass. This stuff's as clear as glass gets, and can be ordered by most window glass suppliers.
    Thanks for the tip Mongo - I'll call tomorrow

cheers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi John, I like your innovations, I have long thought there are improvements to be made on the old style printing frame, but have never gotten around to trying to implement them. Not too long ago, I made some traditional ones for QCC in Atlanta. I found them to be a lot of work, but do-able. Shown below, four 11x14 frames in White Oak.

[URL=http://www.mammothcamera.com/contactprintingframes.html[/URL]

Stainless steel-piano hinges, hand bent Brass springs, cabinet grade Baltic Birch backs, Aluminum "U"channel re-enforced spring-ways......)

.[/QUOTE]

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TracyStorer
    ... Shown below, four 11x14 frames in White Oak.

http://www.mammothcamera.com/contactprintingframes.html

Very nicely made Tracy - looks like very carefull mitreing and finishing. While mine do work well, they are quite "butch" in construction due to a "need for speed" while constructing. I can think of several improvements that I will make in my next one, including one that I see in yours. In mine, the depth of the glass from the top of the frame is too deep, making it hard to easily do accurate test strips. On my next one the supporting material will be much thinner as is yours. I think that hardwood is the way to go also for the next one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a matter of fact, I have wondered just how clear glass really is. If anyone knows of a good on-line distributor for quality glass, I'd love to know. My local dealers are kinda difficult.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pelland
    As a matter of fact, I have wondered just how clear glass really is. If anyone knows of a good on-line distributor for quality glass, I'd love to know. My local dealers are kinda difficult.
    Schott has a web site, I believe -- they came up a while back (somewhere) in a discussion of making your own glass plates; they can apparently supply high quality glass in the 1 mm thickness needed, precut to size, for quite a reasonable cost per piece. Among other things, they list a "crystal clear" glass as suitable for optical windows, but sell the same material in a "float glass" form made the same way as window glass.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin