Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,312   Online: 1090

Shooter
    Large Format

Enlarged Negatives from Agfa Scala

Back when I only used 35mm cameras I shot alot of Agfa Scala film. Gave up on it because of difficulty of making prints from B&W transparencies. In the latest View Camera magazine, the article on James Lattanzio mentions that he shoots Agfa Scala film, then uses Ilford Ortho film to make an enlarged negative which is then used for platinum contact prints. I recently tried the technique using 35mm slide enlarged onto an 8X10 negative ( used J&C Pro 100). The results look encouraging, though contrast levels did increase. This may be acceptable for printing with AZO or pt/pl. I wonder if others, besides Lattanzio, have tried the technique; and what have been your experiences?
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have not, but it sounds interesting...will have to read the article and just happen to have some Ortho from Freestyle (5x7). Will update when I do this...In the meantime would be interested in what others have to say.

Thanks
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I too, just read this article and thought "brilliant".

Too bad Agfa stopped making scala.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi there

A few years ago I used FP4 11x14 processed in Scala processor -drop process to lower contrast and then made contact to neg for platinum printing with good success.I found that the dodge and burn was easy to do with this method. as the negative stage was very fast for any dodge/burn. Any black and white film will work in a Scala processor, you just need permission to run different films in this process.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hmm-gotta tuck this one away for future reference. I've got some Scala slides from a few years ago I've always wanted to do something with. It was neat stuff but I never could see much use for it outside the commercial world.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    Too bad Agfa stopped making scala.
    They did? I just ordered some, and have no problems with getting it...
    OT: I develop it for negatives in HC110...
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    They did? I just ordered some, and have no problems with getting it...
    OT: I develop it for negatives in HC110...
    I just checked, and yes, in Holland you can order Agfa Scala from S-Color in sizes 35mm, 120 roll film to 4x5" sheet film without any trouble, or so it seems. I think I remember you can even get larger sized sheetfilm on request...

does this help?

medform-norm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, here too. I find that surprising if they've stopped making it (that seems alot of inventory?). But seeing as I'm specializing in learning soon-to-be-discontinued-films, that would fit in. (Freezer filling up with Tech Pan, Pan F Velvia...)
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think I might have gotten scala confused with another film. Sorry.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back to the original topic, relative to making enlarged negatives on Pro 100 -- this film is said (by J&C Photo, the importer) to respond especially well to expansions and contractions; it seems to me it would be a fine candidate to use development to control the generational increase in contrast (though, come to that, if the enlarged neg is to be used for alt processes, more contrast is likely to be good).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin