Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,431   Online: 797

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What is best frame size for 8x10 prints?

I make hardwood contact printing frames. I'm getting great response from customers, but I only have my own experience to draw on for the designs. I've talked with Michael A. Smith who gave me some very helpful suggestions, including that I allow some extra glass around the paper/negative. I'd really like to hear your opinions on the "extra space" issue. I guess the question is "What's the best frame size for 8x10 prints?" thanks - DP

PS - Sorry for the confusion. I didn't make it clear that I'm talking about contact printing frames - but I do find the comments on "print frames" helpful too. Thanks!
    Last edited by Dan Pelland; 04-04-2005 at 08:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarification

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Dan

for a starting point

for an 8x10 print I would start with 3inch side 3 inch side 3inch top and 4inch bottom if the print is vertical. there-fore the frame would be
    14inches x 17inches, optical center. I

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pelland
    I make hardwood print frames. I'm getting great response from customers, but I only have my own experience to draw on for the designs. I've talked with Michael A. Smith who gave me some very helpful suggestions, including that I allow some extra glass around the paper/negative. I'd really like to hear your opinions on the "extra space" issue. I guess the question is "What's the best frame size for 8x10 prints?" thanks - DP
    I would opt for a 13X16 inch frame. This allows one to cut six sets of mounts and overmats from a 32X40 inch sheet of board with only 1X32 inch of waste. Since an 8X10 print will typically render 7 1/2 X 9 1/2 it would allow 2 3/4 inch as a top and side margin and 3 3/4 inch bottom margin. Typically a print will look much better with a larger bottom margin, especially when one considers a larger window opening at the bottom for the photographers signature.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In my opinion an 8x10" frame is a little too small to print 8x10" film, while it is a little too big for 5x7" films. I would like to have about an inch of space all around to leave room for jagged edges if I want them, and a signature below the image area. So 10x12" would be just about perfect, and a 7x9" for the 5x7" prints.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would suggest making it a touch bigger than the next biggest size of conventionally available paper. Not everyone contacting is using alternative processing so out of the box paper should be considered.

So in the 8x10 example, I'd make it so you could use 11x14 paper in the frame.

joe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Personnaly, I would like to have one that tightly fits an 8x10 film/paper full 8x10 coverage and no cut off. I have a frame that's 7 1/2 x 9 3/4 (more or less) and it sits unused due to the cut off. I also have one that's 9x11 and it is fine except for the fiddling around to ensure perfect film/paper registration.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I mount all my 8 x 10 prints on 14 x 16 mat board.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    I would suggest making it a touch bigger than the next biggest size of conventionally available paper. Not everyone contacting is using alternative processing so out of the box paper should be considered.

So in the 8x10 example, I'd make it so you could use 11x14 paper in the frame.

joe
    Or for us Europeans, 9 1/2 x 12" or 24x30cm.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have great experience with contact printing, but to me it seems important to leave some room on all sides of the paper/negative. I would be worried about straylight being reflected back into the image from the glass edges.
    I would like to estimate perhaps 2" as an edge around the actual 8x10 print, which would enable using 11x14 paper if that is desired.

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I use a 8x10 frame for my 8x10 negs. The frame design leaves a white boarder around the print. I find it hard to line this up properly so the white boarder comes out even. I've since switch back to just using a piece of glass and wish I'd purchased a 11x14 contract printer instead of the 8x10 version.
    -Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin